The cardinal doctrines
Listings of cardinal doctrines by various
para-church organizations & by the
Roman Catholic Church
Listings of cardinal doctrines by various Christian para-church organizations:
Cardinal beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church:
Marty Rothwell, an author on a Roman Catholic site "Christ's
Faithful People," suggests that prior to the Protestant Reformation in
the early 16th century, all Christians were expected to believe in many key
Some of these are still shared by most Protestants:
- "God the Son is of the same substance and nature as God the
- The Trinity.
- Jesus is fully God and fully human.
However, there are also beliefs
not shared by most Protestants, or not shared to the same extent:
- The Body and Blood of Christ are present in the Eucharist.
- The Apostolic Succession.
- Beliefs are grounded in both the Bible and church tradition.
- The Holy Spirit guides the Church away from error.
- The effects of baptism.
- Believers are saved by Grace and faith.
- Salvation can achieved and later lost. (Modern-day Protestants are divided on this topic)
- Baptism of infants.
- The Deuterocanonical books / Apocrypha form an integral part of the
- Clergy are restricted to males.
- The Pope is the head of the Christian church.
- Canonization and veneration of saints.
- Effectiveness of the prayers of deceased saints.
- Confession of sins to a priest.
- Penance is needed after sinning.
- Purgatory as the destination of many persons after death.
- Prayers for the dead are effective.
- Seven sacraments of: Baptism, Confirmation, Confession, Communion,
Marriage, Holy Orders, and Extreme Unction.
- Veneration of the Virgin Mary.
- Liturgical worship.
- Images are useful aids to worship. 7
The following information sources
were used to prepare and update the above essay. The hyperlinks are not
necessarily still active today.
- "What We Believe," Living by the Word, undated, at:
- "Cardinal Doctrines of the Christian Faith," Lamb & Lion
- "Welcome," Congregational Holiness Church, at:
- "Essential Doctrines of Christianity," CARM, at:
- "Studies in Bible Doctrine," The Moorings, at:
- "Basic Christian Doctrine," Online Christian Disciple School, at:
- Marty Rothwell, "Catholics Protestants and History," Christ's
Copyright © 2006 to 2011 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2006-MAR-10
Latest update: 2011-JAN-19
Author: B.A. Robinson