2016 Was The Hottest Year On Record, Ever.
2017-JAN: Recent climate change measurements:
No. The world is not on fire.
This rather striking image is an exaggeration.
2017-JAN-18: 2016 was the hottest year on record -- ever:
NOAA and NASA held a joint press conference to report that 2016 was the hottest year on record since circa 1880 when surface temperature record keeping around the world began. This is the third year in a row that has set high temperature records!
A list of seventeen of the years with the highest average surface temperatures of Earth shows that 16 of them have occurred since the year 2000.
The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) reported that the average temperature during 2016 was 1.1 ºC (or 2.0 ºF) higher than temperature that was observed before the world began to be industrialized. The maximum target established at the Paris Climate Agreement during 2015 was a rise of 1.5 ºC (or 2.7 ºF) above that level. So we are almost there already. 2
Kevin Trenberth, a climate scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, CO predicts:
"The temperature record is like going up a staircase. Now, with 2015 and 2016 [data], we've seemed to go up another step. We may oscillate around this higher level for a few years, but I don't think we'll ever go back to the values we've seen in previous years."
Eight months during 2016 set all-time highs for those months. July and August tied as the warmest months ever. On JAN-17, the total extent of sea ice around the world set a new mimimum value that hasn't been seen for perhaps the past few thousand years. Among the 17 warmest years on record, 16 occurred in the 21st century. 3
Webmaster's note: [bias alert]:
We may not be hearing many statements from either NOAA or NASA in the future. In late 2016-JAN, two days after their joint press conference, Donald Trump took his oath of office as the 45th President of the U.S. He has stated in the past the "alternative fact" 4 that climate change is a hoax created by the Chinese government to create difficulties for American business. In the future, there may not be any NOAA or NASA scientists willing to report on the reality of climate change and thereby threaten their own future employment with the U.S. government.
NOAA releases land and ocean temperature graph for 2016:
NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce released their graphic showing surface temperatures around the world on both land and oceans. There was one miniscule area of the South Atlantic located south-east of the southern tip of South America which had a record low temperature, and plenty of areas of the world which established all-time heat records:
World temperature rise: 1880 to 2016:
CNN displayed the following graphic in early 2017-JAN. It superimposes temperatures as measured independently by four groups which are obviously in very close agreement. The groups are:
- NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies;
- Hadley Center/Climate Research Unit;
- NOAA National Center for Environmental Information;
- Kevin Cowatan & Robert Way. 3
The graph's baseline temperature, shown as the horizontal line marked 0.0 ºC, is the average of temperatures over the interval 1951 to 1980.
Some more environment/climate change articles that may be of interest to you:
- Part 1: 2013: Quotes. Background. Bay of Bengal incident. Decline in Canada's arctic ice cover.
- Part 2: 2013/2014: Canada loses its seasons. 316 North American cities to be under water.
- Part 3: 2013/2014: Christians, Republicans' & Democrats' beliefs differ. Volcanoes cause pauses in global warming. Americans' views on climate change.
- Part 4: 2014/2015: How Americans viewed climate change. HFC limits. Groups abandoning ALEC. Paris Conference reaches agreement.
- Part 5: 2016-FEB to AUG: Climate change concerns: Ocean levels rising. Displacement of animal species.
Greenland glacier melting. "Third Pole" glaciers melting.
- Part 6: 2016-SEP: Flooding on the U.S. East coast. U.S. and China ratify the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement. Pres. Obama: trends are "terrifying."
- Part 7: 2016-SEP: Obama comments on warming (Con't). 31 countries ratify Paris agreement. Trump zigzags on Climate Change.
- Part 8: 2016-Summer/Fall: Events showing that climate change is adversely affecting life on Earth
- Part 9: 2016-OCT: Did God send Hurricane Matthew as an anti-LGBT message to humanity? Alternate opinions. Hurricane Matthew re-enters Atlantic Ocean.
- Part 10: 2016-NOV: U.S. Costal real estate threatened. Rapid temperature rise in the Arctic. Very large poll about climate change.
- Part 11: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's climate change beliefs. New heads of federal government departments. Extinction of 11 species.
- Part 12: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's 16 Promised Plans on Energy and the Environment.
- Part 14: 2017-JAN: Recent Climate Change Measurements!
- Part 15:2017-JAN to APR:
Climate Change Debate is Changing. What if All the Earth's Glaciers Melted?
- Part 16: 2017-JAN to APR: Donald Trump Becomes President. EPA Foe Installed as Head of EPA! Hundreds Die During Flood in Colombia. Carbon Dioxide in Atmosphere Reaches New High.
- Part 17: Studies of the Effects
of Sea-level Rise in California between Now and the Year 2100.
- Part 18: President Trump Decided that the U.S. Will Quit the Paris Agreement.
Explosive Reactions to his Plan, nationally and globally.
- Part 19: More Reactions to the U.S.
Withdraw from the Paris Agreement. Record high temperatures in San Francisco and elsewhere.
- Part 20:2017-AUG/SEP : Group of 20 summit meeting, Hurricane Harvey attacks Texas. Is climate change increasing the
severity or frequency of hurricanes?
- Part 21: 2017-SEP: 2017-SEP: Can government regulations help? U.S. record high temperatures. Did God send Hurricane Harvey to attack TX?.
Hurricane Irma attacks Caribbean, FL, SC, GA. Hurricanes Jose & Maria.
- Part 22: 2017-SEP/OCT: The most expensive recent hurricanes to attack the United States. Does God use Hurricanes to send a message?
Conflicts, climate change cause rise in hunger.
- Part 23: 2017-OCT to 2017-DEC: All UN states have signed the Paris Agreement. Government report contradicts the President. Comment by
the Union of Concerned Scientists.
- Part 24: 2018-JAN to MAY: New temperature records. President signs bill increasing research."Onion's" amusing fake news. Sea levels rising; cities under water.
Climate change beliefs as function of age.
Proposed Mount Trumpmore project. Volcano in Hawaii. How global warming is affecting California.
Animal, Insect, & Bird Ranges Shrink.
Nutrients in rice reduced. California Governor's comments.
- Part 25: 2018-JUN & JUL: During 2018-JUN: A very few encouraging signs. Hurricanes slowing as winds increase. Changes in Antarctic ice and environment. Norway's growing season increased. A new world highest temperature. Future ocean levels.
- Part 26: 2018-JUL: New York City reports to the UN. Impacts of
humans burning up all our fossil energy. WWW.CLIMATECENTRAL.ORG's tools.
Death Valley, CA, sets new record. Dissapearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern lands. Hurricane Florence.
- Part 27: 2018-AUG & SEP: Dissapearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern countries. Hurricane Florence attacks the Carolinas. Pat Robinson's "Shield of Protection" doesn't work.
- Part 28: 2018-SEP & OCT: Trump Admin. predicts: 7ºF temperature
rise by the year 2099. Impact of climate change on women. Green Building Week & commitment. New IPCC report predicts a "Strong Risk of
as early as 2040.
- Part 29: 2018-OCT & NOV: Southern Baptist Convention downplays IPCC Report. Climate changing Fall season. Ozone layer continues to heal.
Trump Confuses Weather
- Part 30: 2018-NOV: Hope for people who have no access
to clean water. Trump Administration releases National Climate Assessment report.
Reactions to the report.
- Part 31: 2018-DEC: How to lie about climate change. UN head repeats warning. Major report on Arctic climate. Greenhouse gases soar. Can climate scientists be trusted?
- Part 32: 2019-JAN: Collecting plastic trash from the Pacific Ocean. U.S. Public opinion on the environment.
Status of climate change at the start of 2019.
- Part 33: 2019-JAN-MAR: If Ocean Cleanup fails.... Public opinion on environment.
Climate change in early 2019. Sea rise from Antarctic melting. Denmark fights cow flatulence. Disconnect between the EPA and climate scientists. Change is urgent NOW!
The following information source was used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlink is not necessarily still active today.
- Image: © Kevin Giszewski. Downloaded from Dreamstime Stock Photos.
- "January 2016: Earth still on a hot streak," National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 2016-FEB-16, at: https://www.climate.gov/
- Brandon Miller, "2016 was the hottest year on record -- again," CNN, 2017-JAN-18, at: http://www.cnn.com/
- Thomas Sumner, "2016 shattered Earth's heat record," Science News, 2017-FEB-18, at: http://www.sciencenewsdigital.org/
- An "alternative-fact" is false information, divorced from reality, that is intended to spread falehoods and sway opinions. There is only one truth. However, there can be many "alternative-facts."
- Joe Romm, "We did it again! November is hottest on record," Think Progress, 2016-DEC-06, at: https://thinkprogress.org/
Copyright © 2017 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2017-JAN-20
Latest update: 2017-JUN-02
Author: B.A. Robinson