Climate Change. Part 23:
2017-OCT to DEC:
All UN states signed Paris Agreement.
Gov. report contradicts the President.
Union of Concerned Scientists Comment.
Earth in Fire
2017-OCT & NOV: Two countries join the Paris Agreement:
During 2016, only two countries in the UN had refused to join the agreement:
Nicaragua: Although government officials are convinced that global warming is happening and that it is caused by human activity, they refused to join the agreement. Their objection was because it is based on countries making voluntary pledges. There are no penalties if these pledges are not met. They wanted a tougher, compulsory, and more ambitious agreement.
- Syria: The meetings that led up to the Agreement was held during the the heaviest fighting in the long-standing civil conflict in this country. Also, members of the government are under European and U.S. sanctions and could not freely travel internationally to attend meetings. 2
- 2017-JUN, U.S. President Donald Trump announced that he was starting the multi-year process of withdrawing the country from the Paris Agreement.
However, on a positive note:
- 2017-OCT, Nicaragua signed the agreement. 3
- 2017-NOV: Syrian representatives announced at the COP 23 UN climate summit that they had signed the Agreement. 4
This means that as of 2017-NOV, all of the states in the U.N. had signed the Paris Agreement, but the U.S., alone, was in the process of withdrawal.
2017-NOV: President Trump's beliefs on climate change. A Congressionally mandated study totally contradicts him:
During his candidacy and his presidency, President Trump denied the existence of global warming, calling it a hoax created by the Chinese, motivated by their desire to damage U.S. companies financially.
For example, during a radio interview in 2015, he said:
"I’m not a believer in man-made global warming. It could be warming, and it’s going to start to cool at some point. ... Unless somebody can prove something to me, I believe there’s weather. I believe there’s change, and I believe it goes up and it goes down, and it goes up again. And it changes depending on years and centuries, but I am not a believer [in climate change], and we have much bigger problems." 5
There is an essay on this website that contains graphs, extending over many years, of the world's atmospheric temperature, earth's surface temperature, glacier shrinkage, extent of ice in the Arctic and Antarctic, and the rise in sea level over time. They prove that global warming is actually happening. Further, a measurement of the Sun's energy output shows that it is currently dropping slowly, and thus cannot be the cause of the warming. One graph showing the rise in Carbon Dioxide (CO2) level in the atmosphere which is the main cause. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. As a NASA report states:
"Sunlight passes through the atmosphere and warms the Earth's surface. This heat is radiated back toward space. Most of the outgoing heat is absorbed by greenhouse gas molecules and re-emitted in all directions. ... [This warms] the surface of the Earth and the lower atmosphere. 6
Although CO2 is the main culprit, other gasses contribute to the greenhouse effect to a lesser degree. They include Nitrous Oxide (N2O) and Methane (CH4).
As the title of the NASA report says, greenhouse gasses create an insulating "blanket around the Earth" that retains heat. 6
A mandate by Congress requires that a study be made of climate change every four years, that it be peer-reviewed by the National Academy of Sciences, and that it be released to the public. On 2017-NOV-03, the Trump administration released the latest "Climate Science Special Report."
The study says, in part:
"This assessment concludes, based on extensive evidence, that it is extremely likely that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse gases, are the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century. For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.
In addition to warming, many other aspects of global climate are changing, primarily in response to human activities. Thousands of studies conducted by researchers around the world have documented changes in surface, atmospheric, and oceanic temperatures; melting glaciers; diminishing snow cover; shrinking sea ice; rising sea levels; ocean acidification; and increasing atmospheric water vapor." 5
Ann Carlson, a Professor of Environmental Law at UCLA, was asked whether there has been any previous occasion when a federally mandated report contradicted the established policy of a U.S. administration. She responded:
"I can’t think of another circumstance where a report coming out of the administration completely contradicts the positions of cabinet officials and the president himself. There is no nuance here: the report concludes -- consistent with the overwhelming scientific evidence -- that humans are the dominant cause of climate change and yet the administration either flat out denies the connection or completely minimizes it (except for a bit of finessing in confirmation hearings)." 5
Raj Shah, a spokesperson for the White House, said:
"The climate has changed and is always changing. As the Climate Science Special Report states, the magnitude of future climate change depends significantly on ‘remaining uncertainty in the sensitivity of Earth’s climate’ [to greenhouse gas emissions]."
This is a very important problem, because getting the U.S. Government to pay attention and respond responsibly to climate change is a three step process:
- 1: To admit that climate change is happening.
- 2. To admit that climate change is primarily caused by human activities -- notably the burning of fossil fuels.
- 3. To do attack the problem by lowering the emission rate of greenhouse gasses. 5
Shah has apparently partly admitted that the first is true. If the administration can admit that human activity is the cause, then the third and final step will be do do something about the problem.
Don't hold your breath.
2017-DEC: End-of-year statement by the Union of Concerned Scientists:
As part of their year-end fund raising campaign, the group quoted possible predictions in the future under President Trump:
- An additional 3,500 premature deaths a year if President Trump fully repeals the Clean Power Plan.
- $5 billion in subsidies to ensure profits for owners of coal-fired power plants, if the Department of Energy implements its recently announced plan.
- 25 percent cut to the funding of the nation's clean air and water watchdog, the Environmental Protection Agency -- if its Administrator... Scott Pruitt gets his way.
- An increase in the number of appeals to the Union's Science Protection Project, seeking confidential legal advice on preventing political interference in science at their agencies. More than 10 scientists have already reached out by the end of 2017. 6
This topic continues in the next essay, with developments during early 2018
The following information source was used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlink is not necessarily still active today.
- Image downloaded from FreeDigitalPhotos.net "World In Fire2, ©Danilo Rizzuti
- Kevin Swanson, "Supreme Court: Reverse Obergefell Now!
Time for a Day of Humility and Fasting," Generations, 2017-SEP-07, at: https://www.generations.org/
- "Paris accord: US and Syria alone as Nicaragua signs," BBC News, 2017-OCT-24, at: http://www.bbc.com/
- "Syria signs Paris Agreement - leaving US only country in the world to refuse climate change deal," Independent, 2017-NOV-07, at: http://www.independent.co.uk/
- Alex Kasprak, "White House Releases Report Contradicting Its Own Position on Climate Change," Snopes, 2017-NOV-03, at: https://www.snopes.com/
- "A blanket around the Earth," NASA - Global Climate Change, 2017-NOV-07, at: https://climate.nasa.gov/
The following reports in this section that discuss environment and climate change may be of interest to you:
- Part 1: 2013: Quotes. Background. Bay of Bengal incident. Decline in Canada's arctic ice cover.
- Part 2: 2013/2014: Canada loses its seasons. 316 North American cities to be under water.
- Part 3: 2013/2014: Christians, Republicans' & Democrats' beliefs differ. Volcanoes cause pauses in global warming. Americans' views on climate change.
- Part 4: 2014/2015: How Americans viewed climate change. HFC limits. Groups abandoning ALEC. Paris Conference reaches agreement.
- Part 5: 2016-FEB to AUG: Climate change concerns: Ocean levels rising. Displacement of animal species.
Greenland glacier melting. "Third Pole" glaciers melting.
- Part 6: 2016-SEP: Flooding on the U.S. East coast. U.S. and China ratify the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement. Pres. Obama: trends are "terrifying."
- Part 7: 2016-SEP: Obama comments on warming (Con't). 31 countries ratify Paris agreement. Trump zigzags on Climate Change.
- Part 8: 2016-Summer/Fall: Events showing that climate change is adversely affecting life on Earth
- Part 9: 2016-OCT: Did God send Hurricane Matthew as an anti-LGBT message to humanity? Alternate opinions. Hurricane Matthew re-enters Atlantic Ocean.
- Part 10: 2016-NOV: U.S. Costal real estate threatened. Rapid temperature rise in the Arctic. Very large poll about climate change.
- Part 11: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's climate change beliefs. New heads of federal government departments. Extinction of 11 species.
- Part 12: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's 16 Promised Plans on Energy and the Environment.
- Part 13: 2017-JAN: 2016 Was The Hottest Year On Record, Ever.
- Part 14: 2017-JAN: Recent Climate Change Measurements!
- Part 15:2017-JAN to APR:
Climate Change Debate is Changing. What if All the Earth's Glaciers Melted?
- Part 16: 2017-JAN to APR: Donald Trump Becomes President. EPA Foe Installed as Head of EPA! Hundreds Die During Flood in Colombia. Carbon Dioxide in Atmosphere Reaches New High.
- Part 17: Studies of the Effects
of Sea-level Rise in California between Now and the Year 2100.
- Part 18: President Trump Decided that the U.S. Will Quit the Paris Agreement.
Explosive Reactions to his Plan, nationally and globally.
- Part 19: More Reactions to the U.S.
Withdraw from the Paris Agreement. Record high temperatures in San Francisco and elsewhere.
- Part 20:2017-AUG/SEP : Group of 20 summit meeting, Hurricane Harvey attacks Texas. Is climate change increasing the
severity or frequency of hurricanes?
- Part 21: 2017-SEP: 2017-SEP: Can government regulations help? U.S. record high temperatures. Did God send Hurricane Harvey to attack TX?.
Hurricane Irma attacks Caribbean, FL, SC, GA. Hurricanes Jose & Maria.
- Part 22: 2017-SEP/OCT: The most expensive recent hurricanes to attack the United States. Does God use Hurricanes to send a message?
Conflicts, climate change cause rise in hunger.
- Part 24: 2018-JAN to MAY: New temperature records. President signs bill increasing research."Onion's" amusing fake news. Sea levels rising; cities under water.
Climate change beliefs as function of age.
Proposed Mount Trumpmore project. Volcano in Hawaii. How global warming is affecting California.
Animal, Insect, & Bird Ranges Shrink.
Nutrients in rice reduced. California Governor's comments.
- Part 25: 2018-JUN & JUL: During 2018-JUN: A very few encouraging signs. Hurricanes slowing as winds increase. Changes in Antarctic ice and environment. Norway's growing season increased. A new world highest temperature. Future ocean levels.
- Part 26: 2018-JUL: New York City reports to the UN. Impacts of
humans burning up all our fossil energy. WWW.CLIMATECENTRAL.ORG's tools.
Death Valley, CA, sets new record. Dissapearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern lands. Hurricane Florence.
- Part 27: 2018-AUG & SEP: Dissapearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern countries. Hurricane Florence attacks the Carolinas. Pat Robinson's "Shield of Protection" doesn't work.
- Part 28: 2018-SEP & OCT: Trump Admin. predicts: 7ºF temperature
rise by the year 2099. Impact of climate change on women. Green Building Week & commitment. New IPCC report predicts a "Strong Risk of
as early as 2040.
- Part 29: 2018-OCT & NOV: Southern Baptist Convention downplays IPCC Report. Climate changing Fall season. Ozone layer continues to heal.
Trump Confuses Weather
- Part 30: 2018-NOV: Hope for people who have no access
to clean water. Trump Administration releases National Climate Assessment report.
Reactions to the report.
- Part 31: 2018-DEC: How to lie about climate change. UN head repeats warning. Major report on Arctic climate. Greenhouse gases soar. Can climate scientists be trusted?
- Part 32: 2019-JAN: Collecting plastic trash from the Pacific Ocean. U.S. Public opinion on the environment.
Status of climate change at the start of 2019.
- Part 33: 2019-JAN-MAR: If Ocean Cleanup fails.... Public opinion on environment.
Climate change in early 2019. Sea rise from Antarctic melting. Denmark fights cow flatulence. Disconnect between the EPA and climate scientists. Change is urgent NOW!
Copyright © 2017 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2017-OCT-15
Latest update: 2018-MAY-24
Author: B.A. Robinson