"Hot" religious topics
Dungeons and Dragons
|We receive many negative Emails about this series of essays.
Most are the result of visitors to our web site misunderstanding the essays'
Please note that In this series of essays, we are:
We are simply describing what RPGs are, and the conflicts among
various groups, including:
- Not condemning role playing games (RPGs) as evil.
- Not ridiculing many conservative Christians' beliefs about
- Players of these games.
- Conservative Christians.
- Sociologists who have studied RPGs and their players.
- "D&D teaches teens to stretch their minds, use their imagination.
They learn to work as a team, rely on a friend. They spend time in social
circles. It is nothing but a good influence in lives. I am a Christian
and I have, do, and will play D&D. I like it and I know that there is
nothing wrong with it, or me." Unsolicited comment from a visitor to
this web site.
- "I know of no real case of a Dungeons & Dragons(tm) related suicide
or killing. It seems unlikely: the game teaches hope and resourcefulness.
It encourages people to believe they can defeat the obstacles they face."
M.Joseph Young, a born-again Christian. 1
- "Leviticus 19:26 says not to practice any kind of magic. D&D claims
to involve the players in the worship/service of other gods...Exodus 23:13
tells us not to even mention the names of other gods...D&D contains much
information and encourages activity that deals with the
occult world." Mel Gabler. 2
- "Without any doubt in my own mind, after years of study of the
history of occultism, after having researched historical research, I can
say with confidence: These games are the most effective, most
magnificently packaged, most profitably marked, most thoroughly researched
introduction to the occult in man's recorded history, period. This is NO
game." Dr. Gary North, editor of the Remnant Review.
Role Playing Game (RPG) topics covered in this section:
- M.J. Young, "Confessions of a Dungeons & Dragons
© addict," at:
- Mel Gabler, "Dungeons and Dragons - Concerns for the Christian,"
- Dr. Gary North, in Remnant Review, 1980-DEC-5 .
Copyright © 1996 to 2008 by Ontario Consultants on
Latest update: 2008-JUL-15
Author: B.A. Robinson