Concerns about something really big
happening on 2012-DEC-21
Timer. Humor. Various specific predictions.
A handy countdown timer for the big day timed out on the day of the 2012 Winter Solstice: 1
This timer was based on the assumption that TEOTWAWKI (The End
of the World as we Know it) would occur at the exact time of the winter solstice: 11:11
hrs UTC, 06:11 ET,
or 03:11 PT on 2012-DEC-21. This prediction was based on an interpretation of the calendar of the ancient Mayans. Some authors base their estimate on a different interpretation of that calendar, and have concluded that unprecedented events will happen at a different time that day, or perhaps two days later, on 2012-DEC-23.
A bit of humor; not a sponsored link:
Actually, a more accurate statement would be: "If some authors' interpretations of Mayans archeological remains are correct, we don't have much time left." But, although accurate, it would not be as snappy. Also, there would not be room on the sign for all of the letters.
People were undecided about exactly what will happen on this day:
Many commentators predicted massive and sudden destructive
events of global and even cosmic proportion that will result in the loss of
billions of human lives. Some suggest the Earth itself may be destroyed with the loss of all human, animal and vegetable life. Others suggest that:
- The Earth will flip over so that the South
Pole will start pointing towards the North Star. That would cause the oceans to spill over onto the land masses.
- The Earth's magnetic field will reverse causing major events that cannot be predicted in advance.
- Chris Holly stated:
"We live in a time of cycles that are due to end and new ones that are due to start. We are past due on earth for the natural explosion of many mega volcanoes. We are due for earthquakes to shake our terra firma and tidal waves to crash upon our shores. Many places on earth are already being shaken and flooded causing major damage and huge loss of life.
Besides natural earth cycles due, our climate is moving at its natural stages and changing our landmass along with it’s changing patterns. The sun is over due [sic] for its cycle of change and twisting and moaning as it gets ready to explode in mass blasting us with solar flares that will destroy our technology-based societies' abilities soaring us back 200 years over night with a direct hit by one of its flares. Not only are these events possible- it is Impossible They Will Not Happen!" 2
- The December212012.com web site's FAQ page stated:
"Just as important as the many theories, prophases [sic] and predictions surrounding December 21 2012 is the worldwide unrest expected to take place in the years leading up to this date. We need to look no further then our local news to see the signs of coming change.
Throughout the thirteen-year tribulation that began on the winter solstice 1999 we can expect to see a number of dramatic events guiding us to our ultimate destiny in 2012. Among these events we can expect to see an increase in social and political unrest, new and untreatable pandemics, unusual and unpredictable weather patterns throughout the world, devastating natural disasters in the most unlikely of places, and man made devastation beyond our wildest imagination.
Our economic well being will begin to decline and our overall feelings of insecurity and mistrust of the world and environment around us will escalate dramatically. 3
Other commentators made more positive predictions. For example:
- Lorna Byrne says that she is able to see and communicate with angels. Some angels have talked to her about the future: "It was like a complete change of the planet. It’s like the air becomes so clear. Even the grass that grows… the plants, the trees and the waters… all pollution seems to disappear and somehow we manage because of evolution, because of our body and soul. It is part of evolution coming closer. We have such a beautiful future ahead of us if we all listen, if we allow ourselves to develop spiritually." 4
- in5d.com reports that some monks in Tibetan monasteries report that in 2012, "... the world will start plunging into a total destructive nuclear war. ... Supernatural divine powers will intervene. The destiny of the world is not to self-destruct at this time." The divine powers will consist of extraterrestrial beings in UFOs who are currently monitoring humans closely. 5
Skeptics generally believed that nothing truly remarkable would
occur on this particular date. It is merely the date of a solstice when the
length of the daytime is at a minimum in the Northern Hemisphere and a maximum in the Southern Hemisphere. Winter solstices happen once a year about DEC-21. Summer solstices occur about JUN-21 when the length of the daytime is at a maximum in the Northern Hemisphere.
A FAQ page at NASA stated:
"Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then -- just as your calendar begins again on January 1- - another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar. ... For any claims of disaster or dramatic changes in 2012, where is the science? Where is the evidence? There is none, and for all the fictional assertions, whether they are made in books, movies, documentaries or over the Internet, we cannot change that simple fact. There is no credible evidence for any of the assertions made in support of unusual events taking place in December 2012." 6
||Finally, others suggest that It is merely the middle of a time interval starting
years -- perhaps centuries -- in our past and continuing for centuries in our
future during which a gradual spiritual transformation has been unfolding and will continue to unfold among the peoples of the Earth.|
And some commentators admitted that they simply didn't know. For example: Marie D. Jones stated:
"The world is abuzz with talk of the year 2012; however, not everyone is looking forward to the year with the same outlook or expectations. For some, the year hints
at apocalyptic end times; a period in which the world will be thrown into utter chaos and violent upheaval. A turbulent and tumultuous epoch in which both natural and man-made disasters will decimate and possibly lead to the extinction of life as we know it. Other, more optimistic people perceive this date as a moment of awakening, a massive global transformation of consciousness…one which is to be anticipated with joy and celebration.
Perhaps, the real outcome lies somewhere in between the two extremes. 7
Needless to say, the first prediction terrifies the public and increases the sales of books and videos that promote this belief. As a result, most of the 2012 books that you will find in a bookstore predict various types of disasters.
We predicted in advance of the Winter solstice that 2012-DEC-21 would be a relatively ordinary day: 385,000 births and 156,000 deaths 8 -- including perhaps 300 premature deaths due to religiously-motivated assassinations, and a smaller number of mostly women killed because of family honor being compromised. 9 There will be a few hundred earthquakes of magnitude 3 or less on the open-ended Richter Scale. There will be violent weather in various locations on Earth. The year 2012
will end much like many other years, with the usual number of natural and
human-created disasters, acts of generosity, small scale wars, etc.
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Countdown clock supplied by http://www.december212012.com
- Chris Holly, "2012- The Mayans and other strange predictions of our time," Chris Holly's Paranormal World, undated, at: http://endlessjrny.blogspot.ca/
- "What you need to know about 2012 before it's too late," December212012.com, undated, at: http://www.december212012.com/
- "Lorna Byrne - Possible futures for the Earth," Esoteric, metaphysical & spiritual data base," undated, at: http://www.in5d.com/
- "Remote viewing monks see 2012 ET intervention, Esoteric, metaphysical & spiritual data base," undated, at: http://www.in5d.com/
- "Frequently Asked Questions: 2012: Beginning of the End or Why the World Won't End?," NASA, 2011-DEC-22, at: http://www.nasa.gov/
- Marie D. Jones, "2012: The end game begins," at: http://christopersalonga.blogspot.ca/
- "World Population," Wikipedia, as at 2011-JUN-11, at: http://en.wikipedia.org/
- "A Christian is killed every five minutes," International Business Times, 2011-JUN=11, at: http://hken.ibtimes.com/
Copyright © 1997 to 2012 by Ontario Consultants on
Latest update: 2012-DEC-21
Author: B.A. Robinson