End of the world prophecies
19 predictions that "the end" will
come on or after the year 2020
Christians have predicted several events that many believe are
related: the second coming of Jesus, the war of Armageddon, the arrival on earth of the
Antichrist, the Tribulation, the Rapture, some horrendous
natural disaster, etc. Jewish, Islamic, psychic, occult
and other predictions have been offered as well.
We have listed over 7 dozen
the end of the world would happen before now. They all have one factor in common: none ever came true. There is every
likelihood that most (perhaps all) of these future predictions will not materialize either.
We have been criticized by some of our readers for whipping up hysteria about the end
of the world. Our intent is the exact opposite: we want to dampen the level of panic. We
hope that by listing many dozens of past predictions -- all of which have
failed -- that people will realize that some very important individuals have
been totally wrong when they predicted the end of the world. End of the world predictions have been
common throughout Christianity and other religions for
almost 2000 years. It is probable that none of the following predictions of the date of
the end of the world will come true. We will be very surprised if one of them
By the year 2020, the apocalyptic predictions for 2012-DEC-21 will have faded
from most people's memory and there should have been another series of books
published with later predictions for the end of the world. Over time, we expect
that many prophecies for the 2020s will be made.
We offer no guarantees that the prophets listed below
actually made these predictions. We have described their alleged predictions as they were
reported on the Web, in newspapers, books, etc. We do not have the resources to track down
original source material.
Predictions of TEOTWAWKI (The end of the world as we know it):
- 2020: Vincent Carthane predicts that some form of heavenly encounter will occur during the year 2020. He links this date with the Bible and other Christian symbols:
- America started in the Jamestown VA settlement, named after King James. He became king over much of the world in the year 1603 CE. If one goes to Matthew 16:03, one sees a reference to discerning the signs of the times.
- A five pointed star -- the symbol of Satanism -- fits neatly into the design of the Pentagon -- America's military headquarters. The central space defined by a pentagram forms the shape of the Pentagon.
- The cross is in the shape of the letter "T" which is the 20th character in the alphabet. A configuration of two cross symbols worn on opposite lapels by some clergy therefore can be interpreted as the number 2020.
- John 20:20 refers to disciples seeing the Lord.
- The pilgrims landed in 1620 CE, exactly 400 years from 2020. The Bible refers to an unfulfilled 400 year prophecy.
Vince has written a book "Aimed at America: Bible codes that shoot down deceivers." It contains more links between the Bible and the year 2020. Read reviews or order this book safely from Amazon.com online book store See Vincent's You Tube video at: http://youtu.be/
- 2020s or 2030s: Bill Joy, co-founder and chief scientist
of Sun Microsystems predicted the end of humanity in within 20
or 30 years, in an article in the 2000-APR issue of Wired Magazine.
He wrote that leading-edge technologies such as robotics, genetic
engineering and nano-tech may soon lead to the extinction of human
- 2023: According to an Email from Clarence D'Souza, Daniel
12:12-13 predicts the end of the world and of the
Universe during this year.
- Before 2024: A web site titled "Fire from the sky: Meteors and
Biblical Prophecy," predicts that a meteor (actually a
meteorite) "could" hit the earth sometime between 1998 and
2023. This would cause
fireballs of debris, tidal waves, supher [sic] dioxide, a "red tide" in the
oceans, and a dust cloud.
- 2019 to 2026: John Ash had attempted to predict the date of the tribulation unsuccessfully
on two occasions. However, he later came to the conclusion that the tribulation was to being in the year 2019 CE. He rearranged the digits in the 1,290 days
of Daniel 12:7 to produce 2019, which he predicts will be the start of the
tribulation. He then took the 1,335 value from the same verse and added the
number 691 -- the approximate year that the Dome of the Rock was built on the temple mount in Jerusalem to produce 2026. He believed that this is the end date of the
tribulation. 5 However, he now believes that Christians should not attempt to predict the timing of the end times. He sent us an Email saying that he has formally recanted this prediction. 7
- 2028-OCT: Asteroid "1997 XF11" will approach close
to earth. At first, scientists were concerned that there was a small
probability that it might impact earth. However, data from 1990 has
indicated that it will miss earth by about 600,000 miles. 2 Still,
this is a near miss, as astronomical distances go.
- About 2028: A visitor to this web site from Norway has analyzed
biblical chronologies and determined to his satisfaction that "Jesus
became Messiah [about the year 28 CE] exactly 4000 years after Creation."
He believes that God created the world to last 6,000 years. Thus, the end
of the world will happen about 2028. Actually, various theological sources
estimate the date of Jesus' execution between 28 and 33 CE. 30-APR-07 is
a common date. So, the millennium of Jesus' resurrection would occur
between 2028 and 2033, with the most likely date being 2030-APR-07.
- 2029: Mike Flipp believes that God has been communicating
with him by sending him signs all based on the number 2. He wrote in an
Email: "And then on April 26th, 2005 EXACTLY 2 years worth of getting
signs of 2's, I got the Grandiose Sign of the Aceptable [sic] Year of the Lord
- Luke 4:19." The sign is that Jesus will return in the year 2029.
He does not know the month, day, or hour. See: http://www.two.cc
- 2029: The asteroid Apophis was named after the Egyptian supernatural being of destruction and darkness. It was discovered in 2004. Based on available data at the time, astronomers computed that it had a 2.7% chance of hitting the earth in 2029. However subsequent calculations show that it will miss the earth by about 30,000 km (19,000 miles) on 2029-APR-13, a Friday the 13th! Professor Alan Fitzsimmons, an astronomer at Queen's University Belfast, says that gravitational forces between the asteroid and Earth in 2009 will change its orbit slightly. There is a 5 in a million chance that it will hit the Earth in 2036 with a collission with about 100 times the energy of the largest nuclear bomb. The point of impact wold be a great place not to be!
- 2034: The web site 2034AD.com predicts the end of the current age
and the beginning of the Millennium will happen during 2034 CE. They sell a
book "Rest Onto the Land" that describes their conclusions. See: http://www.2034ad.com/
- Before 2038: The environmental group, Greenpeace, predicts massive starvation due to
growth. Global warning will melt the polar ice caps and cause massive coastal flooding.
Thousands of plant and animal species will become extinct.
- 2038: The book "The Bible and the Future"
predicts that "large percentage of the world's population will die in a series of
severe punishments from God" at this time. See: http://www.alltheearth.com/
- 2047-SEP-14: According to The Church of !BLAIR!, the
human race will probably be terminated at 3:28 AM (Soho, UK time). The church
teaches, with tongue firmly in cheek, that if the human race does not discard their
plastic conformity, then the Gods will withdraw their protection. The Gods don't want us
to worship them; they don't want sacrifices or even offerings. They just want us to rid
itself of our excessive "Normalcy". At that time, Astro-Lemurs
(extra-terrestrials similar in shape to lemurs, but with rainbow colored bodies) will
attack the entire human race and beat them to death with gigantic burritos. You have been
Unfortunately, the Church is no longer online to reinforce their warnings.
- 2060: Sir Isaac Newton, Britain's greatest scientist, analyzed
the Bible, which he believed contained God's secret laws of the universe.
He concluded that the end of the world will happen on or after the year 2060.
According to Malcolm Neaum, the producer of a TV documentary on Newton: "He
spent something like 50 years and wrote 4,500 pages trying to predict when
the end of the world was coming. But until now it was not known that he
ever wrote down a final figure. He was very reluctant to do so." 3
- 2070 to 2250: Kermit Zarley, a lay biblical scholar and
former PGA Tour professional golfer, wrote a book in 2006 titled: "The Third Day Bible Code" Read reviews or order this book safely
from Amazon.com online book store. He uses the "third day" motif that
appears throughout the Bible, couples it with the belief that "one day is
like a thousand years" for God, and interprets 2 Peter 3:8 and Psalm 90:4 to
predict that Jesus' return will be sometime between the years 2070 and 2250. 4
- 2076: Bede the Venerable, an 8th century Christian theologian computed
Jesus birth as 3,942 years after the world's creation. The Earth's 6,000 year millennial week will
thus end in this year.
- 2076: Some Sufi sects expect the end of the world in this year, which
is the year 1,500 in the Muslim calendar.
- Sometime before 2100: "Magnus" reports that his supernatural friends:
"... were making statements to the effect of earth would
have initiated the major cataclysmic events during the second world war
but Gods authority around me postponed all of that. So in effect all of
who have lived since can thank Gods authority for their life, without
earth would have commenced those cataclysms a long time ago."
"I know it will begin sometime before 2100, so people
will have to live their lives to the fullest from now till then."
At some time in the future: Dr. M.H. Kahn believes that all of all other predictions in the past are invalid. He cites pasages from the Qur'an; they imply that some time in the future, the current expansion of the universe will reverse. This will cause time and gravity to reverse. He writes:
"The contraction of the universe with reversal of time and gravity will commence the beginning of the
end which will last for thousands and possibly millions of years. We will be removed from the regressing effects of reversed time as we
come back alive in our own time. We will the be taken across many dimensions to beyond this universe. A beautiful natural
mechanism that is based on the laws of physics will cause all that to happen. This real end has nothing to do with wishful thinking and
predictions of priests or shamans." 6
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Bill Joy, "Why the future doesn't need us," Wired Magazine, 2000-APR. Online at: http://www.wired.com/
- Asteroid 1997 XF11 has its own web page at: http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/
- Jonathan Petre, "Newton set 2060 for end of world," Telegraph.co.uk, 2003-FEB-22, at:
- "Christian explanations of the third day motifs in the Bible," part of the Wikipedia article on the third day in the Bible at:
- John Ash, "2019-2026: A prediction to end predictions..." Email, 2008-DEC-15.
- Dr. M.H. Kahn, "The physics of the day of judgment," at: http://www.endphysics.com/
- John Ash, "End Times letter to Religious Tolerance," Email, 2011-AUG-01.
- Rebecca Morelle, "Apophis asteroid: Large space rock flies past Earth," BBC News, 2013-JAN-09, at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/
Copyright © 1997 to 2013 by Ontario Consultants on
Latest update: 2013-JAN-12
Author: B.A. Robinson