Earth's massive or total destruction due
planet "Nibiru" et al. (2003 to 2012)
About the planet/star and its name:
There are predictions that a planet-sized object will either collide with Earth or closely approach our planet early in the 21st century. It is most often called Nibiru, Planet X, Nemesis, or Tyche.
- The name "Nibiru" was derived from the writings of the late author Zecharia Sitchin. He interpreted ancient Babylonian and Sumerian mythology as implying that a planet in a 3,500 year orbit makes periodic returns to Earth. He believed that Nibiru last approached Earth in 556 BCE in the middle of the axial age. This was an interval from 800 to 200 BCE during which time radical changes in religious beliefs occurred around the world. Sitchin suggested that these changes were caused by intelligent beings living on Nibiru who interacted with humans from different cultures. He predicted that the planet will next return circa 2900 CE. His views are not shared by any other specialists in mythology. No evidence of such a planet has ever been found.
According to Wikipedia, "Sitchin himself denied any connection between his work and various claims of a coming apocalypse." 1
- The name "Planet X" is derived from the search for a planet beyond Uranus and Neptune during the late 19th century. American astronomer Percival Lowell believed that these planets' orbits were being distorted by a third planet even farther away from the Sun. Pluto was accidentally found in 1930 and was initially thought to be Planet X. However, its mass was later found to be much too small. It was only in 1992 that astronomer Myles Standish showed that the astronomers had been on a wild goose chase. The orbit distortions were not real; they had been caused by an inaccurate estimate of Neptune's mass. Astronomers today have reached a consensus that Planet X does not exist either.1
- The name "Nemesis" is taken from a space object whose existence was first suggested by physicist Richard A. Muller. He noted that mass extinctions of species on Earth -- also called extinction-level events, ELEs, and biotic crises -- may occur at approximately 30 million year intervals. A minor extinction, called the Eocene–Oligocene extinction event
occurred 34 million years ago. Before that was the Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction event 65.5 million years ago that wiped out the dinosaurs and allowed mammals and later humans to rise to ascendancy. He suggested that some object -- perhaps a brown or red dwarf star or gas giant planet -- existed as a companion to the sun. Every approximately 26 million years it could pass through the Oort cloud of icy objects that is far removed from the solar system. It would dislodge some, and send them as comets into the solar system to bombard Earth and other planets, thus causing species extinction. Fortunately, no evidence of such an object has ever been found.
- The name Tyche was created by Professors Daniel Whitmore and John Matese of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. They have postulated the existence of a large gas giant planet, some four times the size of Jupiter, located about 15,000 AU (Astronomical Units) from the Sun. By comparison, the Earth is 1 AU and Pluto is about 40. Tyche may have a moon system similar to those of Jupiter and Saturn.
If it exists, it would be in the Oort Cloud, which is believed to be composed of "... dirty lumps of rock and ice" as far as one light year from the sun. The gravitational pull from billions of stars in the center of our Galaxy (a.k.a. Milky Way) is believed to dislodge some of these objects from the Oort cloud from time to time, and pull them towards the Sun where they become comets. So far, the only evidence for the existence of Tyche is that some of the comets entering the inner solar system seem to arrive from the wrong direction. However, NASA's Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) telescope may be able to produce some hard evidence of the existence of Tyche.
If Tyche -- and the Oort cloud -- are proven to exist, then there might be a possibility that the planet could dislodge a large number of rocks and ice objects and direct them to the inner solar system as a hail of comets with disasterous results to the Earth. However, it is far more likely that Tyche would merely continue to dispatch the occasional comet from time to time. 3
Prophets are an extremely creative and innovative lot. They are willing to extract isolated concepts from a variety of sources and merge them into an internally consistent prophecy of the end of the world as we know it (TEOTWAWKI). It doesn't matter whether real scientists have concluded that these space objects do not exist. If it can be made to fit the speculation, it is accepted and integrated into an imaginative prophecy.
About the Nibiru collision:
The collision concept involving Nibiru originated from Nancy Lieder who founded the website ZetaTalk. 2 The website is alleged to contained massive amounts of information that has been forwarded by the Zetas -- an extra-terrestrial civilization from the Zeta Reticuli star system -- to their earthbound emissary Nancy.
Nibiru was initially predicted to pass through our solar system during 2003-MAY. It is said to be about four times the size of Earth. It is believed that it will cause the Earth to cease its rotation for 5.9 days, although it is not obvious from where the forces necessary to decelerate and later accelerate the Earth's rotation might come from. The Earth's pole is predicted to destabilize and shift, causing massive disruption to the Earth's crust and unprecedented disasters to humanity.
This pole shift is unrelated to the reversal of the Earth's magnetic poles which has happened periodically in the Earth's history and is expected to occur in the future.
Fortunately, Nibiru was a no-show in 2003 and the pole shift didn't happen.
In recent years, the Nibiru/Planet X concept has been combined with various prophecies that the end of the world as we know it (TEOTWAWKI) will happen on 2012-DEC-21. That date is based upon the ancient Mayan calendar which has a "b'ak'tun
cycle," or "Great Cycle of the Long Count." -- an interval of time that lasts
of our years. The current cycle concludes on the Winter Solstice of 2012. Some prophecies call for the destruction of civilization on that date; other more optimistic predictions call for humans to be spiritually elevated to a higher level on that day.
If a collision with the Earth was going to happen, then by the middle of 2012-DEC, Nibiru/Plaent X would have been the third largest object to be seen from Earth, exceeded only by the Sun and Moon, No such object has been seen, so we should be able to safely relax.
Please pardon our cynicism.
Months in advance, we predicted that The Winter Solstice on 2012-DEC-21 would come without any cosmic events and only a gradual continuing deterioration in weather due to climate change. It will pass uneventfully, except perhaps for:
- The annual Yule celebrations by Wiccans and many other Neopagans.
- Winter solstice observances by many Native Americans, some Atheists, and other secularists.
- A few souls who actually believed some of the apocalyptic scenarios promoted by movie producers and book publishers. Perhaps the most serious consequences will be some folks who firmly believe that the end would come and thus had made no plans for their future. A few might have become so frightened that they committed suicide to avoid their expected apocalypse.
- Some authors would be busy sketching out themes for new books to deal with some other apocalypse scheduled for 2020 or so. This would give them plenty of time to write, publicize and distribute their books, profit from the anxieties and fears of North Americans, and take all the money to the bank.
It seems that we were correct.
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- "Nibiru Collision," Wikipedia, as on 2001-FEB-24, at: http://en.wikipedia.org/
- The ZetaLink website is at: http://www.zetatalk.com/
- "(potential) New Ninth Planet Discovered in Solar System," Eclipse Geeks, 2011-FEB-15, at: http://eclipsegeeks.com/
Copyright © 2012 by Ontario Consultants on
Latest update: 2012-DEC-20 (a little over 18 hours to "the end" that isn't going to happen.
Author: B.A. Robinson