Environmental concerns and climate change
Part 3: Christians,
Republicans' & Democrats'
differ. Volcanoes cause a temporary
pause in global
warming. Webmaster's opinion.
2013-JUL: Opposing statements by Christians:
2014-FEB: Pause in global warming believed to be caused by volcanoes:
Climate scientists have reached a near consensus that global warming is happening. However, the world's yearly average temperature does not increase smoothly. A temperature graph looks more like the side-view of a staircase rather than a smooth ramp. There are intervals of time, about 15 years in length when the average world temperature is relatively constant, and then a rapid temperature rise to a higher level:
Drawing of a staircase for visualization
(not a graph of global temperatures)
Webmaster's option (bias alert):
Climate change deniers often claim that global warming is not happening. As proof, they often point out that the world's temperature has been more or less constant over the past 15 years. Either:
- They are unaware of the staircase nature of global warming, in which case they can be ignored because they can hardly be considered as experts, or
- They are aware of the staircase phenomenon, in which case they can be ignored because they are being deceitful.
End of the bias alert.
Global temperatures expected to resume increasing:
As of 2014-MAR, we are nearing the end of an interval of relatively constant temperature and can expect a rapid increase in the near future.
Volcanoes are known to release tiny particles of sulphur high into the atmosphere. They reflect sunlight, prevent the sun's rays from warming the ground as much, and cause the Earth's surface temperatures to drop.
Dr Benjamin Santer wrote an article the journal Nature Geoscience which said in part:
"We show that climate model simulations without the effects of early 21st century volcanic eruptions overestimate the tropospheric warming observed since 1998. To reduce these uncertainties, better observations of eruption-specific properties of volcanic aerosols are needed, as well as improved representation of these eruption-specific properties in climate model simulations." 7
A massive volcanic eruption -- the largest in the 20th century -- occurred in 1991 when Mount Pinatubo exploded. It ejecting millions of tons of ash and gas into the atmosphere, reaching an altitude of 21 miles. The average world temperatures dropped by up to 0.5 C over the next two years. Seventeen smaller eruptions occurred between the year 2000 and 2009.
Professor Piers Forster, from the University of Leeds, specializes in the Earth's climate. He said:
"Volcanoes give us only a temporary respite from the relentless warming pressure of continued increases in CO2."
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Dan Bewley, "Oklahoma Scientists, Christians, Urge Congress To Act On Climate Change," NewsOn6.com, 2013-JUL-22, at: http://www.newson6.com/story/
- Hal Reed et al., "Petition to Speaker Boehner, et al., signed by 200 scientists/educators, Sojourners, 2013-JUL-10, at: http:/sojo.net
- Raveena Aulakh, "Rising sea levels will seal fate of 316 U.S. cities, study warns," Toronto Star, 2013-JUL-31, at: http://www.thestar.com/
- Rebecca Riffkin, "Climate change not a top worry in U.S.," Gallup, 2014-MAR-12, at: http://www.gallup.com/
- Jeffrey M. Jones, "In U.S., Most Do Not See Global Warming as Serious Threat," Gallup, 2014-MAR-13, at: http://www.gallup.com/
- Jeffrey M. Jones, "Americans Don't Attribute Colder Weather to Climate Change," Gallup, 2014-MAR-14, at: http://www.gallup.com/
- "Volcanoes behind global warming 'pause' - scientists," New Zealand Herald, 2014-FEB-24, at: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/
Copyright © 2013 & 2014 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2013-JUL
Latest update: 2014-SEO-27
Author: B.A. Robinson