Timeline of recent environmental concerns
Part 3: 2014: Beliefs of Christians,
warming. Author's opinion.
2014: Opposing statements by Christians:
2014: Pause in global warming believed to be caused by volcanoes:
Climate scientists have reached a near consensus that global warming is happening and that its primarily cause human activity. However, the world's yearly average temperature does not increase smoothly. A temperature graph looks more like the side-view of a staircase rather than a smooth ramp. There are intervals of time, about 15 years in length when the average world temperature is relatively constant, and then a rapid temperature rise to a higher level:
Drawing of a staircase for visualization
(not a graph of global temperatures)
We appear to be nearing the end of one of these constant-temperature segments to the "staircase."
Webmaster's option (bias alert):
Climate change deniers often claim that global warming is not happening. As proof, they often point out that the world's temperature has been more or less constant over the past 15 years. Either:
- They are unaware of the staircase nature of global warming, in which case they can be ignored because they can hardly be considered as experts, or
- They are aware of the staircase phenomenon, in which case they can be ignored because they are being deceitful.
End of the webmaster's opinion.
2014: Global temperatures expected to resume increasing soon:
As of 2014-MAR, we appear to be nearing the end of an interval of relatively constant temperature and can expect a rapid increase in the near future.
Volcanoes are known to release tiny particles of sulphur high into the atmosphere. They reflect sunlight, prevent the sun's rays from warming the ground as much, and cause the Earth's surface temperatures to drop, stay the same, or increase more slowly.
Also during early 2014, Dr Benjamin Santer wrote an article the journal Nature Geoscience which said in part:
"We show that climate model simulations without the effects of early 21st century volcanic eruptions overestimate the tropospheric warming observed since 1998. To reduce these uncertainties, better observations of eruption-specific properties of volcanic aerosols are needed, as well as improved representation of these eruption-specific properties in climate model simulations." 7
An unexpected, massive volcanic eruption -- the largest in the 20th century -- occurred in 1991.
Mount Pinatubo exploded in the Cabusilan Mountain range on the Philippine island of Luzon. It ejected millions of tons of ash and gas into the atmosphere, reaching an altitude of 21 miles. The average world temperatures dropped an average of 0.5 degrees C (0.9 degrees F) over the next two years. Seventeen smaller eruptions occurred between the year 2000 and 2009.
Professor Piers Forster, from the University of Leeds, specializes in the Earth's climate. He said:
"Volcanoes give us only a temporary respite from the relentless warming pressure of continued increases in CO2."
Some more environment/climate change articles that may be of interest to you:
Part 1: 2013: Quotes. Background. Bay of Bengal incident. Decline in Canada's arctic ice cover.
Part 2: 2013/2014: Canada loses its seasons. 316 North American cities to be under water
Part 4: 2014/2015: How Americans viewed climate change. HFC limits. Groups abandoning ALEC. Paris Conference reaches agreement.
Part 5: 2016-FEB to AUG: Climate change concerns: Ocean levels rising. Displacement of animal species.
Greenland glacier melting. "Third Pole" glaciers melting.
Part 6: 2016-SEP: Flooding on the U.S. East coast. U.S. and China ratify the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement. Pres. Obama: trends are "terrifying
Part 7: 2016-SEP: Obama comments on warming (Continued). 31 countries ratify Paris agreement. Trump zigzags on Climate Change.
Part 8: 2016-Summer/Fall: Events showing that climate change is adversely affecting life on Earth
Part 9: 2016-OCT: Did God send Hurricane Matthew as an anti-LGBT message to humanity? Alternate opinions. Hurricane Matthew re-enters Atlantic Ocean.
Part 10: 2016-NOV: U.S. Costal real estate threatened. Rapid temperature rise in the Arctic. Very large poll about climate change.
Part 11: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's climate change
New heads of federal
departments. Extinction of 11 species.
Part 12: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's 16 promised plans on energy and the environment.
Part 13: 2017-JAN: 2016 Was The Hottest Year On Record, Ever.
Part 14: 2017-JAN:
Recent climate change measurements.
Part 15: 2017-JAN to APR:
Climate Change beliefs are changing; more people
accept it as real, and are now debating its cause.
Part 16: 2017-JAN to APR: Donald
President. EPA Foe Installed as
Head of EPA!
Hundreds Die During Flood in Columbia. Carbon Dioxide
in Atmosphere Reaches New High.
Part 17: 2017-JAN to APR: Studies of the effects
of sea-level rise in California between now and the year 2100.
- Part 18: President Trump Severs the U.S. from
the Paris Accord.U.S. and World Leaders
- Part 19: More Reactions to the U.S.
Withdraw from the Paris Agreement. Record high temperatures in San Francisco and elsewhere.
- Part 20: 2017: Group of 20 summit meeting Record high temperatures in
San Francisco and elsewhere. Hurricane Harvey in Texas.
- Part 21: Can government regulations help? Is Harvey a message from God? U.S. record high temperatures. Hurricane Harvey attacks Texas.
Hurricane Irma attacks Caribbean, FL, SC. GA.
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Dan Bewley, "Oklahoma Scientists, Christians, Urge Congress To Act On Climate Change," NewsOn6.com, 2013-JUL-22, at: http://www.newson6.com/story/
- Hal Reed et al., "Petition to Speaker Boehner, et al., signed by 200 scientists/educators, Sojourners, 2013-JUL-10, at: http:/sojo.net
- Raveena Aulakh, "Rising sea levels will seal fate of 316 U.S. cities, study warns," Toronto Star, 2013-JUL-31, at: http://www.thestar.com/
- Rebecca Riffkin, "Climate change not a top worry in U.S.," Gallup, 2014-MAR-12, at: http://www.gallup.com/
- Jeffrey M. Jones, "In U.S., Most Do Not See Global Warming as Serious Threat," Gallup, 2014-MAR-13, at: http://www.gallup.com/
- Jeffrey M. Jones, "Americans Don't Attribute Colder Weather to Climate Change," Gallup, 2014-MAR-14, at: http://www.gallup.com/
- "Volcanoes behind global warming 'pause' - scientists," New Zealand Herald, 2014-FEB-24, at: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/
- Monica Anderson, "For Earth Day, here’s how Americans view environmental issues," Pew Research Center, 2016-APR-22, at: http://www.pewresearch.org/
Copyright © 2013 & 2016 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2013-JUL
Latest update: 2016-SEP-27
Author: B.A. Robinson