Climate change, global warming,
The circle of life
Best climate change tweet ever:
@Scott Westerfeld: "Plot idea: 97% of the world's scientists contrive an environmental crisis, but are exposed by a plucky band of billionaires & oil companies."
- Gus Speth is an environmental lawyer and advocate, a professor at Vermont Law School and a Distinguished Senior Fellow at Demos, a nonpartisan public policy research and advocacy organization. He said:
"I used to think the top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that with 30 years of good science, we could address those problems.
But I was wrong.
The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed, and apathy. To deal with those, we need a spiritual and cultural transformation, and we scientists don't know how to do that."
With respect, this webmaster disagrees. I agree that "selfishness, greed, and apathy" are major problems to be overcome to prevent future environmental catastrophes, However, I see are other major factors. One is the widespread denial of many findings of scientists on a range of topics by many present-day religious and poltical conservatives. Since the time of Galileo Galilei (1564-1642), science and religion have largely been seen as enemies by huge swaths of the population. Many people deny the existence of climate change and global warming as they deny the evolution of the species, the nature of sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. A major second factor inhibiting progress is the ease with which lawmakers' votes can be purchased at the state and federal level by commercial interests.
About the author of many essays in this section:
Vladimir F.J. Tomek (1922-2012) donated many of the essays in this section. He was concerned that "we are sleepwalking into an ecological disaster." He
graduated from Charles' University in Prague as a 'Doctor of natural science'
(chemistry and physics) in 1947. After a most eventful life, he settled in
Ireland during 1968. He wrote many papers on the topics of religion
and the environment, and generously made many available to this web site. Five years have passed since he died, and his vision of our march towards "ecological disaster" continues around the world as he predicted.
Topics covered in this section:
Climate change & other environmental concerns:
<<< We recommend that you read these two essays first
- Part 1: Cartoon. Webmaster's note.
- Part 2: A tweet & two quotes. What would happen if/when
the glaciers melt? Why discuss
climate change on a religious web site? An infographic.
- Pollution data and trends; species extinctions
- Pollution contribution of land travel, air travel and food transportation
- Degradation of forests, water & soil; resource consumption; waste problems
- Recent environmental concerns:
- Part 1: 2013: Quotes. Background. Bay of Bengal incident. Decline in Canada's arctic ice cover.
- Part 2: 2013/2014: Canada loses its seasons. 316 North American cities to be under water.
- Part 3: 2013/2014: Christians, Republicans' & Democrats' beliefs differ. Volcanoes cause pauses in global warming. Americans' views on climate change.
- Part 4: 2014/2015: How Americans viewed climate change. HFC limits. Groups abandoning ALEC. Paris Conference reaches agreement.
- Part 5: 2016-FEB to AUG: Climate change concerns: Ocean levels rising. Displacement of animal species.
Greenland glacier melting. "Third Pole" glaciers melting.
- Part 6: 2016-SEP: Flooding on the U.S. East coast. U.S. and China ratify the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement. Pres. Obama: trends are "terrifying."
- Part 7: 2016-SEP: Obama comments on warming (Con't). 31 countries ratify Paris agreement. Trump zigzags on Climate Change.
- Part 8: 2016-Summer/Fall: Events showing that climate change is adversely affecting life on Earth
- Part 9: 2016-OCT: Did God send Hurricane Matthew as an anti-LGBT message to humanity? Alternate opinions. Hurricane Matthew re-enters Atlantic Ocean.
- Part 10: 2016-NOV: U.S. Costal real estate threatened. Rapid temperature rise in the Arctic. Very large poll about climate change.
- Part 11: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's climate change
New heads of federal
departments. Extinction of 11 species.
- Part 12: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's 16 promised plans on energy and the environment.
- Part 13: 2017-JAN: 2016 Was The Hottest Year On Record, Ever.
- Part 14: 2017-JAN to APR:
Climate Change debate is changing; more people accept it as real, and are now debating its cause.
- Part 15: 2017-JAN to APR: Climate debate continues. Trump
Disastrous flood in Columbia.
- Part 16: 2017-JAN to APR: Studies of the effects
of sea-level rise in California between now and the year 2100.
- Information about the life forms that make up the ecosphere:
- Our future:
- Religious activity:
- Activity to preserve the environment:
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- We have been unable to read the source information of this image from its upper right corner. If you created this image, please let us know so that we can either credit you or remove it. Your choice.
- J. Hansen, et al., "Climate Impact of Increasing Atmospheric Carbon
Dioxide," Science, 213, 957-966, doi:10.1126/science.213.4511.957,
1981-AUG-28, at: http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/ This is a PDF file.
- "World scientists' warning to humanity," Union of Concerned
Scientists, 1992-NOV-18, at: http://www.ucsusa.org/
Copyright © 2006 to 2016 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2006-JUL-02
Latest update: 2017-APR30
Author: B.A. Robinson