Study 17 (continued) into the cause(s) of
sexual orientation: Nature vs. Nurture.
Part 3 of three parts
A well known Christian parody web
web site takes on epigenetics and
the new test developed to
About parody web sites:
There are many parody web sites on the Internet that demonstrate Poe's Law. 1 This "law" was inadvertently created by Nathan Poe during 2005 when he posted a message to an Internet forum about creationism. He wrote:
"Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is uttrerly [sic] impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake [it] for the genuine article." 2
Poe's law was originally applied only to parodies of creationist web sites. However its meaning has expanded to refer to any satirical web site that pretends to contain legitimate information. Often, the web site's writers will take a real topic and exaggerate it slightly so that it will fool many readers into thinking that it contains legitimate news. However, such sites often contain no useful, meaningful information. They are mainly intended to entertain.
The Landover Baptist Church web site is perhaps the most famous of conservative Christian parody web sites. 3 Some topics that they cover are:
- Ken Ham’s Noah’s Ark: Celebrating The Adventures Of Genocide, Now in 3D!
- The story of Jesus’ ascension told by cats.
- DNR: Never Accept CPR from Sinners, False Christians or Atheists. (DNR is a medical "Do Not Resuscitate" instruction.)
- NASA Scientists Discover Hell by Accident!
- Prayer against bed bugs?
After university researchers developed an epigenetics-based test for measuring a man's sexual orientation, Elmer G. White wrote an article for Landover titled: "Breakthrough in Science: Homosexuality IS Designed by Satan." 4 White is described as a "Distinguished Professor of Prayer Healing," whatever that means.
E.G. White's hoax essay is based on one of the more famous of the eight "clobber passages" in the Bible that are often used to attack the LGBT community: 1 Corinthians 6:9:
In the King James Version of the Bible, which is one of the most commonly used Bibles, this verse is translated from the original Greek as:
"Know ye not that the unrighteous
shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither
fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor
abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor
drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of
God." [Character emphasis not in the original]
The reference to people not inheriting "the kingdom of God" refers to individuals who many Christians believe will not reach Heaven after death, but will spend eternity in the torture chambers of Hell.
Paul, the author of 1 Corinthians, referred to the two groups shown in bold above by using:
- the Greek word "Malakoi" which usually referred to soft, pliable, fabric. However, it was sometimes used to refer to a weak-willed, lazy, or cowardly person;
- a Greek word of Paul's own creation "Arsenokoitai" whose meaning has been lost. It probably does not refer to homosexuals. If that were his intent, he would almost certainly have used "paiderasste,"
which was the standard Greek term at the time for men who engage in sexual activity with other men.
Without a clear meaning for either word, most of the Bible translators seem to have assumed that Paul was discussing sexual activity by two gays. The two
words "Malakoi" and "Arsenokoitai" have been translated in various Bible translations as referring to:
- effeminate males,
- male prostitutes,
- catamites -- boy prostitutes, who were often slaves,
- pederasts: older males who sexually abuse children,
- abusers of sex,
- and finally, sodomites. This last term originally referred to citizens of the city of Sodom, mentioned in Genesis 19. However it is now generally used as an abusive "snarl word" to refer to sexually active gays.
Conservative Christians have generally interpreted the passage as referring to same-gender sexual behavior between adult males. The Landover Baptist Church parody web site picked up this meaning. White discussed the NIMBioS group's development of a measuring technique using epigenetics to determine the sexual orientation of men. He noted that the research group found that a male homosexual's DNA and genes are not modified to make them gay. Rather it is the subtle epi-marks on their DNA that are the cause of homosexual orientation. He implies that this confirms the long-held conservative Christian belief that homosexual orientation is not determined directly by a person's genes.
He concluded that:
- Satan is directly involved in setting up selected fetuses to be homosexual later in life by altering the epi-marks in parts of their DNA.
- Satan's program is tied to President Obama's scheme to pollute the atmosphere with mind-altering chemical compounds.
- Homosexuality is curable, but information about the cure is being suppressed.
The research group claims that its test to identify a male's sexual orientation is accurate 67% of the time. White states that this number is only approximately correct. It is, in reality, more accurately expressed as 66.6666%. He claims that this direct corresponds to Satan's number "666" as mentioned in Revelation 13:18 as the "Number of the Beast" ("Arithmos tou Thēriou" in Greek). He feels that this shows the direct involvement of Satan in the set up of sexual orientation in those male fetuses who will eventually become gay.
In reality, the number 666 in Revelation appears to be a typo. More ancient copies of Revelation have recently been discovered which apparently contain the author's original number: 616. It seems to have been modified to 666 as a result of a copying error. However, 666 is now firmly embedded in the present culture and is unlikely to be updated anytime soon.
White notes also that the university study refers to methylation epi-marks along nine regions in the DNA obtained from male homosexual test subjects. He links this to President Obama and the NWO. (We assume that NWO refers to the "New World Order", and not to Northwestern Ontario, Northwestern Ohio, or to any of the other 35 acronyms for NYO). White cites the conspiracy theory that the U.S. Government runs a Chemtrail delivery system in which airplanes regularly spread chemical mixtures into the atmosphere. Some believe that one of the pollutants is Methyl Aluminum. To White, this firmly suggests a methylation link among Satan, President Obama, the NWO, the Chemtrail program, and the setup of male fetuses to become gay later in life.
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- "Poe's Law," Wikipedia, as on 2016-NOV-29, at: https://en.wikipedia.org/
- Nathan Poe, "Big contradictions in the evolution theory," originally on Christian Forums.com, preserved at WebCite® at: http://www.webcitation.org/
- "Landoverbaptist.org is SATIRE," Real or Satire, 2016, at: http://realorsatire.com/
- E.G. White, "Breakthrough in Science: Homosexuality IS Designed by Satan," Landover Baptist Church, 2015-OCT-13, at: https://www.landoverbaptist.net/
Copyright © 2016 & 2017 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Latest update: 2017-JUN-19
Author: B.A. Robinson