Religion/science conflicts & "hot" topics
Beliefs about the origins & development of the
species, the Earth, & the universe: including
Young Earth Creationism, Old Earth
Theistic Creationism, and
Intelligent Design (only one of which can be true)
Three quotations that illustrate the great gulf in beliefs concerning origins of the earth and its life forms:
- 2012-SEP: Statement by Representative Paul Broun, MD (R-GA):
"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell, It's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior. ... You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says."
Rep. Broun is a member of the Science, Space, and Technology Committee, along with Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) who suggested that female victims of "legitimate rape" have biological defense processes in their body that prevent pregnancy."1
- 2009-MAY: Letter from over 50 scientific societies to the Texas Board of Education. It expressed concern over the quality of science education in that state:
"Evolution is the foundation of modern biology, and is crucial in fields as diverse as agriculture, computer science, engineering, geology, and medicine. We oppose any efforts to undermine the teaching of biological evolution ... whether by misrepresenting those subjects or by inaccurately describing them as controversial and in need of special scrutiny." 2
- 1954: Bernard Ramm, from his book "The Christian View of Science and Scripture:"
"Conservative Christianity is caught between the embarrassments of simple fiat creationism which is indigestible to modern science, and evolutionism which is indigestible to much of hyper-orthodoxy."
This section discusses the origin of life (abiogenesis) and the development of species, including creation science, intelligent design, theistic evolution, and naturalistic evolution.
- Introductory essays: (Please read these first)
- Beliefs about the origin of the species:
- Carbon-14 dating techniques:
- The conflicts among evolution, ID, and creation science:
- The Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament):
- Genesis 1:2: The creation stories:
- Genesis 6 to 8: Noah's flood:
- Three essays donated by Dr. Zvi Shkedi: On the harmony of a
literal interpretation of the Torah and science:
- How old is the earth and the rest of the universe?
- Donated essays by a visitor to this web site:
and news events:
Note: The term "billion" is used throughout this web site in its North American sense to
refer to one thousand million.
A book on harmonizing evolution & the Bible:
"Searching for Truth with a Broken Flashlight:
The Reality of Misconception and Wishful Thinking in the Evolution/Creation Controversy" by Michael L. Hawley.
The general wisdom in North America is that one must either:
- Accept the accuracy of the Bible text and thus embrace Creationism, or
- Accept the Theory of Evolution as truth and consider the book of Genesis as myth.
Hawley explodes these beliefs. Starting from the facts found in nature, one can harmonize evolution and Genesis. This book is a remarkable accomplishment. It is one of the most important recent books directed at a general audience on evolution and creationism.
You can safely order the following books from Amazon.com:
On Creation Science:
On Intelligent Design:
- "Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA): Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell'." TPM, 2012-OCT-05, at: http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/
- "Scientists to Texas Board of Education: Teach Evolution Right!," National Center for Science Education, 2009-MAY-19, at: http://ncse.com/
Copyright © 1995 to 2014 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance. Yes, that is not a typo. If this site continues for 2 more months, we will have been online for 18 years.
Originally published: 1995-NOV-03
Most recent update: 2014-FEB-11
Author: B.A. Robinson