Religion/science conflicts & "hot" topics
Beliefs about the origins & development
species, the Earth, & the rest of
Design, and Theistic Creationism,
(only one of which can reflect reality.)
Six quotations that illustrate the great gulf in beliefs concerning origins of the earth and its life forms:
The core problem expressed here is that the word "theory" has two meanings:
To use a term like "hunch" to refer to the former, and "scientific theory" to refer to the latter would help avoid confusion and would greatly improve clarity.
- In normal use, a theory often means a guess based on scanty information that may or may not be true. A thory requires additional study before determining if it has any value.
- In scientific use, according to AstronomyNotes.com, a theory is: "... a logical, systematic set of principles or explanation that has been verified -- has stood up against attempts to prove it false."
This section discusses beliefs about both:
the origin of life (abiogenesis) -- how the first living entity came to be, and
the development of the species of living entities that we observe today, including creation science, intelligent design, theistic evolution, and naturalistic evolution.
Introductory essays: (Please read these first)
Beliefs about the origin of the species:
Carbon-14 dating techniques:
The conflicts among evolution, ID, and creation science:
The Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament):
How old is the earth and the rest of the universe?
Additional donated essays by visitors to this web site:
- Genesis 1:2: The creation stories:
- Genesis 6 to 8: Noah's flood:
- Three essays donated by Dr. Zvi Shkedi: On the harmony of a
literal interpretation of the Torah and science:
- By David Wilson:
- By Alton C. Thompson:
Information, books, links, and news events:
Note: The term "billion" is used throughout this web site in its North American sense to
refer to one thousand million.
- Harriet McLeod, "South Carolina legislator seeks to give God credit for state fossil," Reuters, 2014-MAR-31, at: http://www.reuters.com/
- Evan Bleier, "S.C. lawmaker won't let mammoth become state fossil unless God is credited as creatorn" UPI News, 2014-APR-02, at:
- "Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA): Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell'." TPM, 2012-OCT-05, at: http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/
- "Scientists to Texas Board of Education: Teach Evolution Right!," National Center for Science Education, 2009-MAY-19, at: http://ncse.com/
- "Darwin Day approaches," The National Center for Science Education, 2015-JAN-12, at: http://ncse.com/
Copyright © 1995 to 2016 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance. Yes, that is not a typo. We have been online for over 21 years!
Originally published: 1995-NOV-03
Most recent update: 2016-DEC-02
Author: B.A. Robinson