Tentative future monthly religious and spiritual book selections
2019-June to August
"The Book of Forgiving" by Desmond Tutu and Mpho Tutu
"Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Prize winner, Chair of The Elders, and Chair of South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission, along with his daughter, the Reverend Mpho Tutu, offer a manual on the art of forgiveness -- helping us to realize that we are all capable of healing and transformation.
Tutu's role as the Chair of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission taught him much about forgiveness. If you asked anyone what they thought was going to happen to South Africa after apartheid, almost universally it was predicted that the country would be devastated by a comprehensive bloodbath. Yet, instead of revenge and retribution, this new nation chose to tread the difficult path of confession, forgiveness, and reconciliation.
"Hot: Living Through the Next Fifty Years on Earth," by Mark Hertsgaard
- " 'Hot' bravely takes aim at perhaps the greatest climate threat of all: apathy." - Eric Schlosser, author of Fast Food Nation
- "Hertsgaard's answers . . . are lucid, realistic, and offer reason for hope." - Christian Science Monitor
- "For twenty years, Mark Hertsgaard has investigated global warming as a journalist, but the full truth did not hit home until he became a father and, soon thereafter, learned that climate change was bound to worsen for decades to come. Hertsgaard's daughter is part of what he has dubbed 'Generation Hot' -- the two billion young people worldwide who will spend the rest of their lives coping with climate disruption. Drawing on reporting from around the world, 'Hot' is a call to action that injects hope and solutions into a debate characterized by doom and gloom and offers a blueprint for how all of us -- parents, communities, countries -- can navigate an unavoidable new era.
"[ Hot 's] urgent message is one that citizens and governments cannot afford to ignore." -- Boston Globe
Note to those without a Kindle reader:
Amazon supplies a free Kindle reader app that can be dowloaded for free from their web site. Versions are available for Windows, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Android Phones, Android Tablets, iPhone. iPod Touch, iPad, Mac, PC, Cloud Reader, and by now, probably more devices.
For Android phones, PCs, Macs, tablets, etc.:
- Go to the Amazon web site at: https://www.amazon.com/
- Go to the search bar at the top of the screen. Enter free reading app
- There should be a "Free Kindle Reading App" link as the top selection for the device you are currently using.
Benefits of using Kindle books:
- Once you download the app, you can buy ebooks from Amazon which are usually significantly cheaper than paperback or hardcover versons.
- If you download the app to your tablet or phone, you will be able to carry dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of books with you!
- There is no need for you to build additional book shelves!
- You can join Amazon's Kindle Unlimited program. It enables you to explore over 1 million titles, thousands of audioooks, and many current magazines on any device. The first month is free, and subsequent months cost $9.99 in the U.S.
Latest update: 2019-MAY-01
Assembled by: B.A. Robinson