The Bahá'í Faith
Lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) issues.
(Note: This is not an official Bahá'í web site)
Quotations taken from various You Tube videos advocating gay equality:
|"Ye are all the leaves of one tree, and the fruits of one branch." Baha'u'llah ("glory
of God") the founder of the Baha'i faith.|
|"If love and agreement are manifest in a single family, that family will
advance, become illumined and spiritual." Abdu'l-Bahá, the first interpreter
of Baha'i teachings.|
|"If religion becomes a cause of dislike, hatred and division it were
better to be without it..." Abdu'l-Bahá.|
|If religious beliefs and opinions are found contrary to the standards of
science, they are mere superstitions and imaginations; for the antithesis of
knowledge is ignorance, and the child of ignorance is superstition.
Unquestionably there must be agreement between true religion and science. If a
question be found contrary to reason, faith and belief in it are impossible,
and there is no outcome but wavering and vacillation. Abdu'l-Bahá.
|"Homosexuality according to the writings of Baha'u'llah is spiritually
condemned," Shoghi Effendi, the second and final interpreter of Baha'i
|"...the Faith does not recognize homosexuality as a 'natural' or permanent
phenomenon. Rather. it sees this as an aberration subject to treatment,"
Universal House of Justice, 1987-MAR-22.|
||"LGBTI Let us live in Peace." Text of a mask worn during a protest in
Kampala, Uganda, seeking and end to persecution of lesbians, gays, bisexuals,
transsexuals, transgender and intersex persons. Local Baha'i, Christian and
leaders urged the government to arrest the protestors.
|"Which side of history do you want to be on?" A sign at a California
demonstration in favor of same-sex marriage.|
The Baha'i faith and LGB issues:
The Baha'i Faith teaches that
homosexual behavior is unacceptable among its
members. Voting rights of some of their lesbian, gay and bisexual members (LGB)
who are out of the "closet" have been suspended; some memberships have been
The Baha'i faith is in a unique position with regards to lesbians, gays, and bisexuals (LGB's) because:
- The last person capable of changing the authoritative interpretation of its holy texts confirmed that homosexual behavior, same-sex marriage, etc. is unacceptable.
- He died without naming a successor.
- Human sexuality researchers, professional mental health associations, social worker professional associations, and liberal religious groups have reached a near consensus that homosexual and bisexual orientations and behavior are normal and natural for a minority of adults, and that homosexual orientation is unchosen, and unchangeable.
- One of the main principles of the Baha'i faith is their respect and adoption of the findings of science.
Thus Baha'i beliefs concerning sexual orientation are quite similar to those of the conservative wings of
Christianity, Islam, Judaism and other religions. They reject the findings of science on this topic, and they have no mechanism to change their position.
Topics covered in this section:
- Abdu'l-Bahá, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Page 181.
- Peter Tatchell, "Ugandan gays demand freedom," Guardian newspaper,
Copyright © 1996 to 2011 by Ontario
Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Latest update: 2011-DEC-06
Author: B.A. Robinson