Same-sex marriage (SSM) in New Jersey via the state courts
Reactions to the
Court's decision to legalize
SSM and to Governor
to stop resisting
SSM: by conservatives.
In this web site:
"SSM" refers to same-sex marriage;
LGBT refers to lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and transsexuals
2013-OCT: Religious conservatives' reactions to Governor Christie's capitulation:
A common theme among NOM and other conservative religious and social information sources is that any court that decide in favor of marriage equality are "activist courts" whose judges simply base their rulings on their own personal whims. Another theme is that the courts "legislate from the bench." That is, they act as if they are a Legislature and create laws, thus usurping the role of the Legislature.
We posted a comment to the NOM article that discusses the "activist court" and "legislating from the bench" It said:
"NOM and other social and religious conservative information sources that discuss marriage equality all seem to promote the same belief system: that courts who decide in favor of marriage equality are "activist courts" whose judges simply base their rulings on their own personal beliefs. Another common theme is that the courts "legislate from the bench." That is, they act as if they are a Legislature and create laws, thus usurping the role of the Legislature.
I don't recall any conservative group explain what is really going on: that state courts compare existing marriage laws with the state constitution, conclude that the laws discriminate and are thus unconstitutional, and issue a ruling accordingly. In this case, the judges on the New Jersey Supreme Court refused to stop same-sex marriages, and they did it unanimously. 6
The NOM web site responded to our posting with the following message:
"Posted October 24, 2013 at 7:15 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation."
We do not expect it to survive NOM's moderation process.
This topic continues in the next essay
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Peter Sprigg, "Gov. Chris Christie's Marriage Decision Troubles Conservatives," Family Research Council, 2013-OCT-21, at: http://www.frc.org/
- Christie administration drops SSM appeal!," New Jersey Family Policy Council, 2013-OCT-21, at: http://www.njfpc.org/
- "Greg Quinian Bio," Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays, undated, at: http://www.pfox.org/
- Charlie Butts, " 'Judicial oligarchy’ ushers in NJ same-sex ‘marriages’," One News Now, 2013-OCT-21, at: http://www.onenewsnow.com/
- Heather Haddon, "New Jersey Governor Christie Withdraws Appeal on Same-Sex Marriage," Wall Street Journal, 2013-OCT-21, at: http://online.wsj.com/
- "National Organization for Marriage Sharply Criticizes Activist Judiciary For Redefining Marriage In New Jersey and Christie For Abandoning Voters," National Orgaization for Marriage, 2013-OCT-21, at: http://www.nomblog.com/
Copyright © 2013 by Ontario Consultants on Religious
Originally posted: 2013-OCT-21
Latest update: 2013-OCT-24
Author: B.A. Robinson