Gays in the U.S. Military
Modifying/repealing "Don't ask,
don't tell" (DADT) during late 2010-MAY.
Reactions to the 2010-MAY-25 activity in the Senate committee and House:
2010-MAY-27: American Family Association blog links Adolph Hitler and Nazis to the repeal of the DADT policy:
Bryan Fischer posted an article titled: "Homosexuality, Hitler, and 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' " in the "Rightly Concerned" blog of the American Family Association.
He claimed that Adolph Hitler was gay, had a male lover over a five year interval during World War II, and was denied a promotion as a non-commissioned officer because of his sexual orientation. If there is any truth buried in this allegation, it is most probable that Hitler had a bisexual orientation. He is believed to have had sex with female prostitutes. Just before committing suicide on 1945-APR-28, he married his long-time mistress, Eva Braun. His doctor testified that 'the Fuhrer had sexual relations with Eva Braun from time to time, although they slept in seperate beds." There were rumors that he also had a sexual relationship with his neice, Geli Raubal.
Fisher wrote that:
- The SA (a.k.a. the Brown Shirts and Storm Troopers) was made up almost entirely of homosexuals.
- Hitler's right hand man in the early days of Naziism, Ernst Roehm, believed that homosexuals were needed in the SA because they were "... a proud and arrogant lot who could brawl, carouse, smash windows, kill and slaughter for the h*** of it. Straights, in [Roehm's] eyes, were not as adept in such behavior as practicing homosexuals."
- Less than 1% of the homosexuals in Europe died at the hands of the Nazis.
- 85% of Europe's Jews were killed in the gas chambers.
His "bottom line" is a reference to the DADT policy in the American military:
"Homosexuality gave us Adolph Hitler, and homosexuals in the military gave us the Brown Shirts, the Nazi war machine and six million dead Jews. Gays in the military is an experiment that has been tried and found disastrously and tragically wanting. Maybe it's time for Congress to learn a lesson from history." 6
The accuracy of these statements is highly suspect:
- About 2.9 million Jews died in the Nazi death camps out of the total 6 million Jews who were killed during the Holocaust. This represents about 31% of the total number of Jews in the areas of Europe that were controlled by the Nazis. Some fraction of that 31% -- perhaps less than 25% would have been executed in gas chambers; the rest died from disease and overwork caused by the dreadful living conditions in the camps. If one were to include all of the Jews in Europe -- and not just those who lived in the areas controlled by the Nazis -- this figure would be further reduced. The 85% estimate used by Fisher is totally unreasonable. 7
- Fisher's article was based on Scott Lively's book, "The Pink Swastika: Homosexuality in the Nazi Party." A leading anti-hate group, the Southern Poverty Law Center, comments that:
"The book makes a series of claims that virtually no serious historian agrees with: that Hitler was gay, that 'the Nazi Party was entirely controlled by militaristic homosexuals,' and that gays were especially selected for the SS because of their innate brutality. The claims are entirely false; in fact, the Nazis murdered significant numbers of gays and made homosexuality a death penalty offense in 1942.
In the foreword, Abrams adds that homosexuality is 'primarily a predatory addiction striving to take the weak and unsuspecting down with it. … They have no idea of how to act in the best interests of their country… . Their intention is to serve none but themselves'." 8
- According to Wikipedia: "Partly as a result of Fischer's remarks, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) announced that it would officially include the AFA on its 2011 list of homophobic hate groups. 8,9 Along with the AFA they will be listing Scott Lively's group Abiding Truth Ministries, another conservative Christian group.
They will also list other hate groups, all or almost all of which are fundamentalist or other evangelical Christian organizations: Americans for Truth about Homosexuality, American Vision, Chalcedon Foundation, Dove World Outreach Center, Faithful Word Baptist Church, Family Research Council, Family Research Institute, Heterosexuals Organized for a Moral Environment, Illinois Family Institute, MassResistance, and the Traditional Values Coalition.
Scanning the media about the military's DADT policy
shows that agencies that are opposed to equality for LGBT persons as well as those who support equality are heavily biased. Each group reports only part of the news. Few if any report elements that contradict their position on human rights. Some publish untruths that any person familiar with sexual orientation and the LGBT communities would recognize as lies.
We deserve better from these agencies. In the meantime, it is important for the public to carefully monitor a range of media outlets in order to piece together a balanced picture.
Alternately, of course, they could wait until this website gets around to reporting the news. ;-)
The story continues.....
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- `Senate panel, House approve 'don't ask, don't tell' compromise plan,`CNN, 2010-MAY-28, at:http://www.cnn.com/
- Joe Solmonese, "Breaking: Don`t Ask, Don`t Tell repeal moves forward," Human Rights Campaign mailing, 2010-MAY-27.
- "Group Representing 2.5M Wartime Veterans to Congress: Keep 'Don't Ask'," LifeSiteNews.com, 2010-MAY-27, at: http://www.lifesitenews.com/
- Tony Perkins, "Playing politics with our soldiers," Family Research Council, 2010-MAY, at: http://www.frc.org/
- Gail Zoppo, "Congress approves 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal," DiversityInc, 2010-MAY-28. at: http://www.diversityinc.com/
- Bryan Fischer, "Homosexuality, Hitler, and 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell',"Rightly Concerned blog, American Family Association 2010-MAY-27, at: http://www.afa.net/
- "How many Jews were killed in the Holocaust?," Answers.com, 2010, at: http://wiki.answers.com/
- Evelyn Schlatter, "18 Anti-Gay Groups and Their Propaganda," Southern Poverty Law Center, Intelligence Report, Winter 2010, at: http://www.splcenter.org/
- "American Family Association," Wikipedia, as updated on 2010-DEC-17, at: http://en.wikipedia.org/
Copyright © 2010 by Ontario Consultants on
Originally written: 2010-MAY-25
Latest update: 2010-DEC-19
Author: B.A. Robinson