Homosexuality and bisexuality
Crisis and suicide prevention
support lines for LGBT persons
Please contact us if you know of other non-judgmental confidential hot
lines that you feel should be included here. We do not charge for this service.
LGBTQ youth crisis and suicide prevention lines:
The Trevor Project maintains a suicide/crisis help line for LGBTQ
(lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning) youth at 1.866.4.U.TREVOR
(1.866.488.7386). It is an anonymous and confidential service. It is accessible
only in the U.S. See: http://www.TheTrevorHelpline.org
- The Youth Talkline in San Francisco helps LGBTQ persons under the
age of 24. Their phone number is 1.800.246.PRIDE (1.800.246.7743) in the
S.F. Bay area. Outside that area, dial via long distance to 1.415.863.3636.
Their TDD number for hearing impaired persons is 1.415.431.8812.
- Ontario: The lesbian, gay, bi, trans youth line is accessible
within Ontario at 1.800.268.9688 daily except Saturday from 4 PM to 9:30 PM.
LGBTQ youth and adult crisis and suicide prevention lines:
- Some LGBT centers maintain crisis lines or can refer you to one. See: http://resources.lgbtcenters.org/ for a directory of centers by state.
- The Gay & Lesbian National Hotline can be accessed from Monday to
Friday 6 to 10 PM and Saturday noon-5 PM ET: at: 1.888.843.4564.
Non-LGBTQ crisis and suicide prevention lines for persons of all ages with all types problems:
Although the names of these helplines imply that the service is only for
suicidal callers, many, perhaps most of the callers, are in other crisis or
- Two national suicide hotlines are: 1.800.SUICIDE (1.800.784.2433) and
- A TTY national suicide hotline for the hearing impaired is at:
- Suicide.org provides a list of suicide hotlines by state. See http://www.suicide.org/
- SuicideHotLines.com provides a similar listing at http://www.suicidehotlines.com/. It is one of the least eyeball-friendly websites we have ever seen: blue
Copyright © 2009 by Ontario
Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted on 2009-JUL-24
Latest update on: 2010-AUG-08
Compiled by B.A. Robinson