Culture shift re:
homosexuality, bisexuality, etc.
Events during 2010-FEB illustrating
cultural shifts about sexual minorities
The acronym SSM refers to same-sex marriage;
GLBT refers to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transsexual persons.
- 2010-FEB-01: Anti-discrimination law for students introduced: "House resolution H.R. 4530, the Student Non-Discrimination Act (SNDA), has been introduced in Congress." It would prohibit discrimination against any public school student that is based on actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity. The bill was introduced by Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO), who has been a leading proponent of equality in education. 1 More details.
- 2010-FEB-19: Washington DC: Another attempt to hold referendum on SSM fails: Judge Brian F. Holeman of D.C. Superior Court rejected an appeal to hold a referendum on the Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Equality Amendment Act of 2009. If their request had been granted, then the law would not come into effect on MAR-03 as scheduled and allow same-sex couples to marry in the District. More details.
- 2010-FEB-26: DC: Mass wedding of same-sex couples planned for Washington: According to GLBT Wedding Services, the largest same-sex mass wedding in history is planned for 2010-MAR-20. They hope to break the Guinness World Record with up to 400 couples marrying. It will be part of an all-day series of events called "Our Time Has Come." Needless to say, the celebration is contingent on SSMs being legalized in early March. 2
- 2010-FEB-26: IN:Constitutional amendment to ban SSM fails: A constitutional amendment passed the Indiana Senate in late January, but failed to reach the House. It would have banned both same-sex marriage and any "... legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage." The latter would presumably eliminate the possibility of same-sex civil unions. 3
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- "H.R. 4530, the Student Non-Discrimination Act (SNDA)," PlanetTransgender, 2010-JAN-28, at: http://planetransgender.blogspot.com/
- "DC strives to set world record as Gay Marriage legalization nears," PR Newswire, 2010-FEB-26, at: http://www.prnewswire.com/
- Steve Jordahl, "Indian House votes down marriage amendment," CitizenLink, 2010-FEB-26, at: http://www.citizenlink.org/
Copyright © 2010 by Ontario
Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Initial posting: 2010-FEB-11
Latest update: 2010-FEB-28
Author: B.A. Robinson