Culture shift re:
homosexuality, bisexuality, etc.
Events during 2010-June illustrating
cultural shifts about sexual minorities
The acronym SSM refers to same-sex marriage;
GLBT refers to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transsexual persons.
- 2010-JUN-01: This is the first day of LGBT Pride Month. President Barack Obama issued a proclamation on JUN-01. 1
- 2010-JUN-07: IL: LGBT survey: Jessica, a researcher at the University of Illinois at Chicago, is conducting a study on homosexuality and
religious affiliation. She is currently recruiting LGBT people for the study and are hoping to get a representative sample as possible. She asks thay you send this link to anyone you know who might be interested in participating in the study or potentialy posting it on your site.
The survey link is:
- 2010-JUN-07: Portugal: A lesbian couple, Helena Paixao and Teresa Pires returned to a Lisbon registry office and became the first same-sex couple to marry under Portugal's new same-sex marriage law. They have been together since 2003 and described their marriage as a: "... great victory, a dream come true." They have all of the rights of opposite-sex married couples, except for the right to adopt a child. 2 More info on SSM inPortugal
- 2010-JUN-22: DC: White House holds LGBT Pride Month reception. President Barack Obama noted legislation that has been passed by Congress and signed into law: the Matthew Sheppard hate crime law, an executive order requiring hospitals that participate in Medicare or Medicaid to grant same-sex partners and their familes equal rights, and an executive order extending equal benefits to LGBT federal empoloyees. In the works is an inclusive employee non-discrimination act (ENDA), a repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act and an end to the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.
- 2010-JUN-28: World: This is the international day to celebrate LGBT rights. Many gay pride marches are held on or about this day.
- 2010-JUN-28: Iceland: Prime Minister marries same-sex partner: Johanna Sigurdardottir, the Prime Minister of Iceland, married her long-time female partner Jonina Leosdottir. They upgraded their civil union to a marriage. Johanna has become the world's first national leader to be in a same-sex marriage. More info on SSM in Iceland
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Barack Obama, "A Proclamation..." White House, 2009-JUN-01, at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/
- "Portugal lesbian couple in nation's first gay marriage," BBC News, 2010-JUN-07, at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/
Copyright © 2010 by Ontario
Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Initial posting: 2010-JUN-08
Latest update: 2010-JUN-29
Author: B.A. Robinson