Most Californian voters support SSM
Public Religion Research
Institute 2010 poll (Cont'd).
This is a continuation of an earlier essay
Results of a poll of California voters by Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) taken between 2010-JUN-14 and JUN-30 (Cont'd):
- Was the passage of Proposition 8 good, bad or not significant? They replied:
- 45% It hasn't made any difference.
- 29% It is a bad thing.
- 22% It is a good thing.
- 4% Don’t know or refuse to answer.
- How has the subject's views changed over the past five years about rights for gays and lesbians:
- 66% No change.
- 25% more supportive.
- 8% more opposed.
- 1% Don’t know or refuse to answer.
- Among black Protestants, 27% were more supportive, 13% more opposed.
- Among Latino Catholics, 31% were more supportive, 9% more opposed.
- They were asked whether they believed that sexual orientation is determined at birth. Of course, few if any people believe that the birthing process determines a person's later orientation. They probably intended to ask whether the subject believed that sexual orientation is determined by the time of birth:
- 26% agreed.
- 25% mostly agreed.
- 21% completely disagreed.
- 20% mostly agreed.
- 8% Don’t know or refuse to answer.
Actually, the answer to this question has already been determined from studies of identical twins who were separated at birth and raised independently in different families. If one twin is gay or lesbian in adulthood, the other twin has about a 12 times greater chance than average of also being a gay or lesbian. This indicates that, overwhelmingly, a homosexual orientation is primarily determined by a person's genes and/or their environment in the womb -- i.e. before birth. However, a small minority of persons may have been set up by their genes and/or womb environment to have a homosexual orientation, but somehow became heterosexual or bisexual.
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- "Religion, Proposition 8, and Same-Sex Marriage in California. New Poll: Only One-in-Five Californians Say Proposition 8 'Good Thing', Majority Now Support Same-Sex Marriage," Public Religion Research Institute, 2010-JUN, at: http://www.publicreligion.org/research/
- "2010 California Same-sex Marriage Survey," Public Religious Research Institute, 2010-JUN, at: http://www.publicreligion.org/
Portions copyright © 2010 by Ontario Consultants on Religious
Original posting: 2010-JUL-30
Latest update: 2010-SEP-06
Author: B.A. Robinson