Same-sex marriage (SSM) in the U.S.
by various groups & individuals about
the future of same-sex marriage (SSM) in the U.S.
2013-JUL: Current status:
In predominately English speaking countries:
- Same-sex marriage had become available throughout Canada, England, New Zealand, and Wales.
- It is actively being discussed in Australia and Scotland.
- It is available in the District of Columbia and 13 states in the U.S.
There is a growing belief among American adults that legal recognition of same-sex marriage across the entire country is "inevitable." In early 2013-MAY, a national poll by Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found that 72% of American adults expect this to happen. 1 Among those who support SSM, 85% believe it is inevitable; among those opposed, the value is 59% -- still a health majority. As future developments occurr, these values will probably increase over time.
Less than two months after the poll, on 2013-JUN-26, the U.S. Supreme Court issued rulings in two very important cases. One, Wilson v. United States, declared a major part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) to be unconstitutional. It resulted in 1,138 government marriage benefits and protections which were previously restricted to opposite-sex couples being also made available to married same-sex couples. The other ruling, Hollingsworth v. Perry had the effect of legalizing same-sex marriage in California once more.
There is a lot of speculation about how, when, and in what order additional states will legalize SSM, perhaps leading to SSM becoming available to all loving, commited same-sex couples in the country.
Topics covered in this section:
- Overview. Predictions by Ned Lathery of Marriage Equality, USA. Predictions by Justices Kennedy & Scalia
- Predictions by U.S. Supreme Court Justices Kennedy & Scalia (cont'd), and Linda Feldman of the Christian Science Monitor
- Predictions by Linda Feldman (Cont'd), this web site, and Future Timeline.net
- Predictions by Future Timeline.net, the New York Times, and The Hill
The following information source was used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlink is not necessarily still active today.
- "Poll: Gay Marriage Viewed As 'Inevitable' By Most Americans," Huffington Post, 2013-JUN-06, at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
Originally written: 2013-JUL-15
Latest update: 2013-JUL-28
Author: B.A. Robinson