Same-sex marriages (SSM) & civil unions in Illinois.
2012-DEC: President Obama urges passage of SSM bill.
Public response to Chicago Sun-Times article.
2012-DEC-29: President Obama urges the Illinois Legislature to legalize SSM:
White House spokesperson Shin Inouye said:
"While the president does not weigh in on every measure being considered by state legislatures, he believes in treating everyone fairly and equally, with dignity and respect
"As he has said, his personal view is that it's wrong to prevent couples who are in loving, committed relationships, and want to marry, from doing so. Were the President still in the Illinois State Legislature, he would support this measure that would treat all Illinois couples equally."
Lynn Sweet, Washington Bureau Chief for the Chicago Sun-Times commented:
"The practical impact of Obama urging his home state to legalize gay marriage is to prod -- and give political cover to -- reluctant Democrats from conservative suburban and Downstate districts.
Both chambers in Springfield are controlled by Democrats. Republicans cannot be depended on for widespread gay marriage support. Sun-Times Springfield Bureau Chief Dave McKinney has reported that Steans and Harris predicted there would be some Republican backing. 1
Back in 2012-FALL during his election campaign, President Obama issued statements supporting same-sex referendums in Maine, Maryland and Washington State. All three referendums established marriage equality in their states on election day in 2012-NOV.
Poll and public comments associated with the Chicago Sun-Times article:
Associated with the above article in the Chicago Sun-Times was an Internet poll in which readers of the articles were asked for their opinion on same-sex marriage. 1 By early-2012-DEC-30, they had received 4,796 votes:
- 4,497 (93.8%) chose "Yes, it's about time."
- 273 (5.7%) chose "No, it's not right."
- 26 (0.5%) chose "Other" 1
Unfortunately, this is probably not a response that accurately reflects either the readership of the Chicago Sun-Times or the Illinois population. According to a comment posted to the article, the survey was "... bombed on behalf of www.reddit.com/r/atheism." That would make the survey without value. We expect that a ratio of 55% support to 45% opposition to SSM would be a more accurate estimate.
As expected, those who were motivated to answer the survey and who also left personal comments were highly polarized. The first 13 comments were:
- J.S. Horvath: "idont like two mamas or two papas, why you vant this some of you realy sic must have moore rooms for you all in hel, you vanted you have what you wishfor."
- Floyd: "I personally think that people should be able to marry who they want. Marriage rights are human rights not a privilege, and i find it very hurtful many people think homosexuals will go to hell, there are many Catholic, Lutheran, and even Morman homosexuals. I realize that in the bible I has said that a man shall not lie with another man, but it also says man shall not praise anything made by man, the bible is made by man, it may be the word of god, but that word of god was interpreted through the words of man. The bible is purely a document of history, not of beliefs.
I do say sorry to any Christians that take offense to what i have said. I realize not all of the Christians are like this. I am purely saying being a Christian means accepting everyone and anything as their own beliefs because the only person/being/ devine power is the lord Jesus christ, and God, our holy father."
- W. Barker: "I think the comment from Mr. John S. Horvath speaks volumes about those who oppose equality."
- Doug: "The break down of the family is the down fall of this country. God created man and woman totally different in body make up. He created them to enjoy each other. He created different body parts to be enjoyed by a man and woman in a beautiful way that only God has designed. The Bible is clear about this and the Bible is the words of God that God gave to man to but down in pen for all the world to read. The devil is working overtime in this country. he twist everything and makes it sound like the right thing to do. The killings in Conn. are a terrible thing everyone is upset about it but every day thousands of babies are killed by abortion. Wake up America it is up to us to follow what God has laid out for us in the 10 Comandments."
- Miguel Moreno: "I respect your option to worship your god in your life. I should not be forced to abide by your religion. We have freedom of religion in the U.S. Marriage is a civil human right. A document at a courthouse legally binding a union. What you do in your church is your business and no one wants to take that from you. So please respect others as you would like them to respect you. If you are against gay marriage, then do not marry a person of the same sex. Plain and simple. I don't vote on what you do in your relationship, and you shouldn't decide what I do in mine."
- Jack: "Gay behavior is disgusting and knot normal. It's gossaromma."
- Jacky: "Oops gross aromma"
- Peter: "John Horvath - Please learn how to construct a sentence before you begin judging people."
- David: "...respectfully people, this isn't a religious issue, THIS IS A CIVIL RIGHTS ISSUE...every U.S. citizen is guaranteed inalienable rights by the U.S. Constitution, The Bill of Rights and the 14th Amendment...EVERY CITIZEN, regardless of faith, gender, race, sexual orientation, has the same rights...but there is a nasty history in the U.S. of the "majority" denying the rights of certain minorities, i.e. African Americans, Latinos, Women, LGBT people...and some Americans think that we live in a Christian theocracy (one religion) and we don't...all Americans ought to be able to marry the person they love...if your particular belief or religion doesn't support gay marriage, that's OK and you are entitled to your belief...but NOBODY is entitled to mess with the civil rights of other Americans...period."
- Truth is a bitter pill: "If this is a human rights issue do we also legalize human and animal sex couples? The animals don't seem to mind and the humans ......well its their human right isn't it? How about adult and child sex relationship? There can't be anything wrong with that now can there? If they both want it who are we to determine if its right or wrong? There must be a way to justify it through the constitution or just ammend the constitution to accept it. We are becoming illogical to morals which don't exist anymore because we are pursuing a freedom of expression and freedom of rights agenda. Yes it is a religious discussion because a church / mosque or any other wedding is religious which had a traditional ceremony. A marriage is different and doesn't require religion. Religious / Spiritual people don't seem to have the right to the same freedom of expression but that is no surprise. If they did it to Jesus, we expect them to do it to us."
- arrow7: "If someone were to say black people are worthless and tearing this country apart and they should be denied all but the right to serve white people. Sounds wrong right? This is what all people who disagree with gay marriage are like. Even if not so extreme its still the same."
- r/atheism: "This poll has been bombed on behalf of www.reddit.com/r/atheism."
- James C.: "Dear "bitter": Animals and children cannot legally consent, so there can be no consensual relationships. But regardless, slippery slope arguments like yours are logical fallacies. Instead of arguing about the issue at hand (an argument you might feel you're losing), you're arguing about your own invented issues (where you feel you might win)." 1
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Lynn Sweet, "Obama urging state lawmakers to legalize gay marriage in Illinois," Chicago Sun-Times, 2012-DEC-29, at: http://blogs.suntimes.com/
Copyright © 2012 & 2013 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Latest update: 2013-JAN-02
Author: B.A. Robinson