News items affecting gays,
lesbians, bisexuals & transsexuals
2010-April, May & June
In the following, "SSM" refers to "same-sex marriage."
See also events in 2010-APR and -MAY that demonstrate a
culture shift towards acceptance of sexual minorities.
News during 2010-APR:
- 2010-APR-06: MS: Lesbian discriminated against by school district: Earlier in the year there was a conflict in the Itawamba County School District in Northern Mississippi. It concerned the Itawamba County Agricultural High School prom scheduled for APR-02. The school restricted the prom to opposite-sex couples only; Constance McMillen, a lesbian, protested; the school cancelled the prom to avoid conflict; Constance sued. The judge ruled that her human rights had been violated by the school. However, since an alternate prom independent of the school had been organized and Constance was invited to it, all seemed settled.
It turns out that the organizers were deceitful. They sent Constance, her date, two other members of her class
who had learning disabilities and three other students to a fake prom at a local country club. Meanwhile, the rest of the students went to their own prom at another location, secure in the knowledge that they would not have their celebration disturbed by the presence of a same-sex couple and learning disabled students.
On a positive note,
McMillan said that those at the fake prom: "... had the time of their lives. That's the one good thing that come out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them [at the main prom]." 1
Emma Ruby-Sachs of the Huffington Post wrote:
"The actions of the people organizing the prom were cruel and disgusting, but not illegal since the supervision and accountability acquired from a school-sponsored prom were absent from this celebration. We have the judge to thank for this event. I stated then, and will state again that he got it wrong when it came to this injunction decision. It was a cop out and a failure of the justice system and I, for one, am appalled at the fallout from his faulty legal reasoning. I am appalled, but not surprised. This is why we need good judges willing to make hard decisions: because without their protection, the tyranny of the majority will always win out." 2
2010-APR-16: USA: President Obama signs executive order on hospitals: The order instructs almost all hospitals to be more flexible in their policies regarding restrictions of patients' visitors, and recognition of patient's medical directives. This is being interpreted -- incorrectly -- by much of the media -- secular, religious and gay-positive as primarily benefitting loving, committed same-sex couples. More info.
- 2010-APR-16: USA: Fifteenth annual Day of Silence observed: Many thousands of middle schools, high schools, colleges and universities observed a Day of Silence where students who want an end of harassment, physical attacks against people perceived as LGBT. In an interesting development, a high school in New Hampshire gave students who participated in the event credit towards an academic requirement. More info.
News during 2010-MAY:
- 2010-MAY-11: MD: Anti-SSM activities fail. Poll shows increased public support for SSM: In February, Maryland Attorney General Douglas Gansler ruled that legal same-sex marriages solemnized in other jurisdictions had to be recognized in MD. Attempts by social and religious conservatives to have the AG impeached subsequently failed. Other attempts to force a referendum on the AG's ruling also failed. A Washinton Post poll indicates that a substantial majority of adults in MD favored the AG's ruling. Also, there was more support than opposition for legalizing SSM in the state. 3 More info.
- 2010-MAY-17: Prophecy about the end of the world as we know it (TEOTWAWKI): It is time for a bit of light-hearted humor on same-sex marriage -- a topic that has been approached with such seriousness in the recent past.
We received an Email from a person who prefers to remain anonymous who wrote that:
- With the legalization of SSM in Portugal, same-sex marriages are now legal in 6 European countries, and
- With the legalization of SSM in Washington DC, same-sex marriages are legal in 6 political jurisdications in the U.S. and
- same-sex civil unions are currently legal in 5 states in the U.S.
But Hawaii may become the sixth state to offer civil unions in 2010-JUN. This creates a 666 scenario which might foretell the end of the world as we know it. Remember; you saw it first on this website!
2010-MAY-24: Congressional activity expected on DADT: An amendment is expected to the Armed Forces appropriation bills. It would make no change immediately in the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy that discriminates against LGBT persons in the military. However, after a review currently under way by the Pentagon is published and if the president, the secretary of defense and the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff can first sign a document assuring that the new policy is "consistent with the standards of military readiness, military effectiveness, unit cohesion, and recruiting and retention," then DADT would be history. More details.
- 2010-MAY-27: U.S.: DADT bill passes Senate committee and House: The Senate Armed Forces Committee voted to repeal the Don`t Ask Don`t Tell policy conditional on the issuance of the Pentagon report on the topic and also conditional on confirmation that repeal of DADT would not affect the Armed Forces negatively. The report is currently scheduled to be published on 2010-DEC-01.
On the same day, the bill was approval of the U.S. House of Representatives.
The full senate will consider the bill later in the summer. More details.
Two days earlier, CNN released its latest polling results. 78% of American adults favor elimination of the DADT policy.
News during 2010-JUN:
- 2010-MAY-05: Archbishop Dadeus Grings presents novel belief about cause of homosexuality: Brazilian Archbishop Dadeus Grings is reported as describing a new theory about the origin of homosexual orientation. He was interviewed by the O Globo newspaper at a Brazilian brishops' conference. He said:
"We know that the adolescent is spontaneously homosexual. Boys play with boys, girls play with girls. If there is no proper guidance, this sticks. The question is -– how are we going to educate our children to use a sexuality that is human and suitable?"
He seems to be implying that homosexuality, not heterosexuality, is the normal sexual orientation, and that youths must be actively and directly taught to abandon their homosexual orientation before "it sticks" in favor of a heterosexual one at about the time of puberty.
He also seems to imply that a homosexual orientation is sub-human. If this is his intent, then it is a dangerous path to take; it could lead to enhanced homophobia, which could trigger increased gay bashing, abandoning of LGBT youth by their parents, and eventually lead to Auschwitz-style gas ovens.
His theory seems to be contradicted by the findings of many child psychologists who are able to predict with high accuracy which 5-year-old children will exhibit a homosexual orientation later in life.
He also said that if society accepts homosexual behavior, it could pave the way for the acceptance of pedophilia. He said:
"When sexuality is trivialized, it's clear that this is going to affect all cases. Homosexuality is such a case. Before, the homosexual wasn't spoken of. He was discriminated against. ... When we begin to say they have rights, rights to demonstrate publicly, pretty soon, we'll find the rights of pedophiles."
In 2003, he argued that only 1 million Jews died in the Holocaust -- not the generally accepted number of six million. A few years later he recanted his statement. 4
- 2010-MAY-08: Cardinal Schönborn deviates from church's stance:
Cardinal Schönborn, the Archbishop of Vienna, said that the church "... should give more consideration to the quality of homosexual relationships. A stable relationship is certainly better than if someone chooses to be promiscuous.” There have been many interpretations in the media and on blogs as to the meaning of this statement. We suspect that he is implying that he still considers same-sex sexual behavior to be a serious sin, but that if it is done within a loving, committed relationship that it is less sinful than engaging in one-night stands. 5
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- "Constance McMillen, Fake Prom? Itawamba Dance Was Kept Secret From Lesbian Teen,"
- Emma Ruby-Sachs, "Lesbian Teen Prom Update: Law Fails to Protect Constance From Discrimination Again," Huffington Post, 2010-APR-06, at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
- Aaron C. Davis & Jennifer Agiesta, "Poll finds gains for same-sex marriage in Maryland," Washington Post, 2010-MAY-11, at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/
- Bradley Brooks, "Brazilian Archbishop Says Kids Are 'Spontaneously Homosexual'," Huffington Post, 2010-MAY-05, at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
- "Church Should Give 'More Consideration' to 'Quality' of Homosexual Relationships: Cardinal Archbishop of Vienna ," LifeSiteNews, 2010-MAY-10, at: http://www.lifesitenews.com/
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Sec 107: The news items
contained in the above hyperlinks are provided without profit by the
Ontario Consultants for Religious Tolerance, Suite 128, 829 Norwest Rd., Kingston ON, Canada, K7P 2N3., and are intended to be available to anyone
interested in the topics included, for educational purposes only. Any
editor, author, Webmaster, writer, publisher, news service, etc. that
objects to being part of this listing may request that future works be
excluded. We will also attempt to delete previous entries from the
Copyright © 2010 by the Ontario
Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally written: 2010-APR-06
Latest update and review: 2015-DEC-02
Compiler: B.A. Robinson