Lesbian, gay, and bisexual (LGB) issues.
All viewpoints covered.
In this website and just about everywhere else, LGBT refers to the
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender/Transsexual community.
- Until late 2015, the most controversial topic related to the LGBT community was marriage equality -- allowing qualified same-sex couples to marry under the same age and genetic restrictions that are in place for opposite-sex couples. This is discussed in a separate section of this web site. Within a few months of the momentous decision by the U.S. Supreme Court on 2015-JUN-26 that legalized gay marriages, same-sex couples have been able to obtain marriage licenses across the entire United States with the exception of the territory of American Samoa. Some county clerks are still refusing to issue licenses, but couples can usually travel to an adjacent county to obtain one.
Almost instantly, groups working to resist equality for the LGBT community switched from fighting gay marriage to concentrate their efforts at:
Although marriage equality was a major change, some same-sex couples have been married one day only to find themselves legally fired from their jobs on the next.
Pro-equality groups have shifted their efforts to expanding equality to these other areas.
- Many years ago, we titled this section "homosexuality and bisexuality." However, "homosexuality" has since become a snarl word used to express hatred or rejection by some groups, so we are gradually converting the essays in this section over to "lesbian, gay and bisexual" topics. These are more neutral terms, at least for now.
Topics covered in this really big section:
||Positive changes in the acceptance of the LGBT community:|
|Basic info about homosexuality and bisexuality:
||Six common belief systems by religious folks about
same-sex behavior and homosexual orientation|
||Meaning of terms
|Meanings attributed to the term "sexual orientation"|
|Beliefs about causes; is it changeable? abnormal? immoral?|
|Same-sex parenting, foster parenting, and adoption|
||What percentage of the adult population are lesbian, gay, or bisexual?|
||Public opinion polls; << A large section|
|Emails we have received;|
||Suicide rates among gay and lesbian youth|
||Is there a connection between sexual orientation and gender identity?|
|Other topics: dialog; statements of professional groups; terminology|
|The impact of religion:
||Six common belief systems by religious folks about same-sex behavior
|The Bible and homosexuality -- the famous "clobber"
||Books covering a full range of beliefs by different faith groups|
||Beliefs and policies of various religious groups, theologians, clergy, and laity concerning GLBT
||Other essays on dialogue, change, conflicts, policies,
compromise, schism, teaching in schools, etc. -- even Ipad apps|
|| Same-sex marriage (SSM), civil unions, etc
||SSM by U.S. state, in Canada, and other countries|
||Public opinion polls|
|Benefits of marriage|
|Assessing the will of God|
|1999 ruling by the Supreme Court of Canada|
||Presidential races and SSM|
||Political party platforms|
|Challenges faced by gays and bisexuals:
|Employment insecurity ENDA laws|
|Public school harassment|
|Family of origin problems|
|Attacks on gay-positive churches|
|Accusations of child molestation|
|Who are the LGBT's?|
homosexuals and bisexuals:
|Multiple meanings of the term "homophobia"|
|Causes, incidence, cost|
|Boy Scouts of America|
|"Dr. Laura" |
||Senator Santorum (R, PA)|
||Carl Palidino (R) running for governor in 2010|
|About ex-gays: reparative
& other therapies: |
|Statements by professional groups|
|Beliefs by the public|
|Results of studies|
|Laws & regulations affecting gays
||News in the media and from the Internet
||General news concerning LGBT developments from 1996 to the present time|
|Events indicating an increasing acceptance of homosexuality, etc.
by the public|
||Errors and lack of clarity among some media reports|
|The "Dr. Phil" TV program & sexual orientation|
|Homosexual milestones in the media |
|The National Day of Silence|
||Support from the National Association of the Deaf|
||Updating daily news feed. etc.|
gay/lesbian child; essays; sermons; personal stories; etc.
|What to do after your child says "I'm gay"|
|Dealing with a son's homosexuality|
|A gay person's letter to his church|
||A father disowns his son for being gay|
|Analysis of an anti-gay essay|
|Can a homosexual remain a Christian?|
||An open letter from Christians to LGBT people by John Shore|
||Challenging Emails we have received about homosexuality|
||A mother's open letter to President Obama, 2009-JUN|
||Books, and videos of interest to the LGB community|
|Gay and Bisexual-positive resources|
||Conservative Christian resources|
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Barack Obama, "A Proclamation..." White House, 2009-JUN-01, at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/
- Peter Heck, "Homosexual family law," One News Now, 2010-FEB-08, at: http://www.onenewsnow.com/
- "Religism" is a proposed new English word to cover bigotry based on another person's religious belief.
Not a sponsored link
Copyright © 1996 to 2015 by Ontario Consultants on
Last updated 2015-NOV-16
Author: B.A. Robinson