"End of the world as we know it" prophecies
Predictions that "the end" will
during 2017 to the 2020's
Predictions of TEOTWAWKI (The end of the world as we know it) happening during 2017:
A number of groups predict this:
- The "Sword of God Brotherhood" believes that
Armageddon will occur in 2017. The Prophet Gabriel has personally told them this. Sadly, they believe that only their own
members will survive to repopulate the world. All of the more than 7 billion other humans (including you and me)
will "perish in hellfire." 6 That may present a real problem because a large group of humans is required in order that inbreeding does not adversely affect future generations. The Brotherhood may not have the genetic diversity to prevent this from happening.
- "Daniel's Timeline" bases their calculation on the concept of
Jubilee years which occur every 50 years. The most recent three Jubilees
- 1867 when the Jews were emancipated in Austria and Hungary.
- 1917 when the Ottoman rule ended and the Balfour Declaration was created.
- 1967 when the Six Day War occurred in the Middle East.
They predict that the next and final Jubilee year will be 2017, "the time of the restitution of all things." 7
- As of mid- 2017, a prophecy is being widely promoted that "The Woman and the Dragon" passage in Revelation 12 will be displayed in the sky on 2017-SEP-23. A Google Search for: "september 23" virgo "revelation 12" found just under 10,000 results,many of which refers to "The Great Sign."
In the New International Version of the Bible, the passage reads:
- Verse 1a: "A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet ..."
- Interpretation: On SEP-23, the sun will be in the constellation Virgo, the Virgin. The moon will be near Virgo's feet. This is not a particularly rare event. This alignment happens once a year during each Fall.
- Verse 1b: "... and a crown of twelve stars on her head."
- Interpretation: Many who discuss this verse note that there are exactly nine stars in the constellation Leo the Lion located near her head. On this date in 2017, the planets of Mercury, Venus, and Mars will also be near her head, making a total of 12 "stars." To make the prophecy come true, It is necessary to select only nine stars in Leo so that three planets will have to be close to the Virgin's head in order to make a total of twelve objects. This a rare event.
It is widely stated that this configuration only happens once in seven millennia. Many people who believe in the inerrancy of the Bible believe that creation occurred circa 4004 BCE, so that this configuration is occurring for the first time ever in the 602 decades since the universe was created! Others who base their beliefs on science might note that this configuration has occurred hundreds of thousands of times, since the formation of the solar system some 4.5 billion years ago.
However, there are actually more than nine start visible around Virgo's head. So the choice of nine stars appears to be somewhat manipulative.
The presence of the three planets near Virgo's head is an unusual event.
Christopher M Graney, writing for EarthSky calculated how often the configuration has appeared over the past millennium and found that it happened in the years 1827, 1483, 1293, and 1056 CE. That is a long way removed from once every 7 millennia.
- Verse 2: "She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth."
- Interpretation: At this time, the planet Jupiter will be near what would be Virgo's womb. Some interpret this planet as representing the child that she is about to deliver.
- Verse 5: She gave birth to a son, a male child, who “will rule all the nations with an iron scepter.” And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne.
- This is often interpreted as referring to Yeshua of Nazareth (Jesus Christ) who ascended to Heaven after his death and resurrection.
Predictions of "the end" sometime before or during 2018:
- The web site titled "A Nightmare for Everyone and the
Countdown to 2000," predicted that an asteroid and comet will hit the earth,
sometime between the date of the re-creation of Israel in 1948, and the year 2018. This site was at http://www.geocities.com/, but does not appear to be still online.
- A widespread belief among conservative Christians is that it will occur during 2018:
- Jesus' teachings about the end of our age included a reference to the creation of the state of Israel. This happened in 1948 as a result of an action by the United Nations.
- Jesus also taught that the generation that saw the creation of Israel would see his second coming.
- A generation in the biblical sense is 70 years.
- Thus, they believe that Jesus' second coming will happen in 2018 which will be:
- Proceeded by many signs, such as the darkening of the sun and moon, the moon appearing blood red in color, stars darkening and appearing to be falling to earth; widespread seismic activity, and
- Followed by the seven year tribulation period involving the deaths of billions of people.
Or perhaps during 2019:
- On 2012-JUL-09, scientists at NASA and the US Air Force's Linear Observatory in New Mexico discovered a giant asteroid which they named 2002 NT7. Scientists at NASA and Pisa University in Italy carried out daily orbit calculations as more information became available. The object follows an orbit that intersects with the earth's orbit. Initial calculations showed that there was a one in 9.000 chance that the asteroid might collide with the Earth on 2019-FEB-01 at about 11:47 UT. If it did, then the results would be catastrophic.
David Derbyshire, writing for The Telegraph newspaper, referred to the asteroid as an "armageddon rock." He said that it is:
"... between 0.6 and 2.5 miles across. ... [If it collided with Earth,] its impact velocity ... would be 18 miles a second -- enough to wipe out a continent and throw up enough dust to block out the Sun [worldwide], bringing devastation to the world's food supply.
Dr Alan Fitzsimmons, of Queen's University Belfast and a scientist with the National Space Centre, said:
"Since it was first discovered it has only moved across a small fraction of the sky. Although we know roughly where it is going, its orbit needs to be refined. The orbit has been calculated every day, but we need another few weeks before we can get a precise orbit."
By the morning of 2002-JUL-26, the probability of a collision was computed to be one in 60,000. But by the end of that day a new calculation showed that the probability had dropped to one in 75,000. It appears that the Earth is safe, at least from this asteroid.
However, there are other large rocks out there.
- During 2019-DEC:
- David Montaigne wrote a book in 2013 that predicted the end of the world as we know it would end in late 2019:
"End Times and 2019: The End of the Mayan Calendar and the Countdown to Judgment Day," published by Adventures Unlimited Press. You can read reviews and order this book safely from the Amazon.com online book store. It is available in both Kindle and Paperback formats.
The author believes that the end will come precisely 7 years after 2012-DEC-21. That was the date when the Mayan Long Count calendar ended.
A brief book review on Amazon.com states:
"End Times and 2019 reviews the evidence suggesting that the end of the world as we know it will occur in December 2019. Fact after fact is presented in logical order, progressing through astronomical clues given by the Maya, Egyptian pyramids, world mythology, and especially the Bible -– leading readers to a timeline of events for our civilization’s final years. The author’s claim -- while bold and controversial -- is backed up with hundreds of documented citations and additional hundreds of Bible quotes, all of which point to the same events ending in 2019."
- His second book was published in 2014:
"Antichrist 2016-2019: Mystery Babylon, Barack Obama & the Islamic Caliphate," published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. You can read reviews and order this book safely from the Amazon.com online book store. It is available in both Kindle and Paperback formats.
The author continues to promote the belief that the end will come in late 2019-DEC. He also predicted that the identity of the Antichrist would become obvious to everyone on 2016-JUN-06. Unfortunately, this date came and passed without his prophecy coming true. This failure increases doubt that his main prophecy will come true.
Or perhaps during the 2020's:
As the year 2020 approaches, we will revisit this topic and record some end of the world predictions that others are making for the 2020's. Judging on past predictions, all are expected to fail. Sadly, many people will believe the predictions. Some of them will become depressed. A small fraction of the latter will become suicidally depressed and may even commit suicide. We hope that this series of articles will show that the hundreds or thousands of previous predictions of "the end" have all failed and that future prophecies will probably not come to pass either, in spite of the obvious sincerity of those making their prophecy. Judging by the wide variety of dates for "the end" that have been made over the past two millennia, the Bible appears to be vague and/or ambiguous on this topic.
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Bruce McClure & Deborah Byrd, "What is a Blood Moon?," EarthSky, 2015-SEP-22, at: http://earthsky.org/
- Mark Woods, "Blood moons and the end of the world: How not to interpret biblical prophecy," Christianity Today, 2015-SEP-09, at: http://www.christiantoday.com/
- "Mormon church issues call for calm as 'blood moon' sparks apocalypse fears," The Guardian, 2015-SEP-26, at: https://www.theguardian.com/
- "'Blood moon' brings prophecies of end times – but Nasa says not to worry," The Guardian, 2015-SEP-26, at: https://www.theguardian.com/
- Bill Michelmore, "Niagara Falls prophesied as site of Second Coming," The
Buffalo News, 2007-OCT-28, at: http://www.buffalonews.com/
- Mike Foster, "Chilling Prophecies found in 1847 Time Capsule", Weekly
World News, 1997-MAY-20, P. 8-9
- "The Sword of God Brotherhood: Warriors of the Apocalypse," is at:
- "Daniel's Timeline Report," at: http://www.danielstimeline.com/
- David Derbyshire, "The world ends on Feb 1 2019 (possibly)," The Telegraph, 2002-JUL-25, at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
- Danny R. Faulkner, "What Will Happen on September 23, 2017?," Answers in Genesis, 2017-MAY-01, at: https://answersingenesis.org/
Copyright © 1997 to 2017 by Ontario Consultants on
Latest update: 2017-JUN-18
Author: B.A. Robinson