Are the cause(s) of sexual orientation due to nature or nurture?
Three proofs that homosexual & bisexual sexual
NOT have a genetic
Part 4: PFOX tries to use Proof #1 (Cont'd): that
homosexuality cannot be genetic because
one identical twin will be gay & the
gay, even though having identical genes.
More reactions to the billboard:
- Video from NBC12 - Richmond, VA News: 6
- David Pickup is an advisor to PFOX’s board of directors and a therapist who says that he was successfully treated for homosexuality. He said:
"There’s [sic] so many individuals in Virginia that need help to understand the real underlying issues of the causes of homosexuality." 9
When asked about statements by the American Psychological Association (APA) that a homosexual orientation is normal and healthy, he responded:
"Yes, they do. And it’s troubling because they assume that all of us who do this authentic reparative therapy -– not the junk that you hear about on the internet and various other medias -- ... believe that homosexuals are all mentally ill and they have to change and nothing can be further from the truth. ..."
"In my opinion, there’s room for both voices. One, if you want to believe that you’re gay and born that way, ok, you have a right to do that. But if you believe that, no, there’s a causation there, there’s something that can be changed, that voice deserves (to be heard) as well." 9
- Temple Beth-El is a Conservative Synagogue in Richmond, VA. Its Rabbi, Michael Knopf, wrote an article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch about the billboard. Referring to identical twins with different sexual orientations, he writes that PFOX:
"... uses this piece of information to form a belief ... that sexuality is a choice. And if sexuality is a choice, then people can also choose to change their sexual orientation.
First, the facts: While it is true that identical twins share DNA, those genes are often expressed differently. For example, it is not uncommon for identical twins to have different personalities, different heights and even different physical features.
For twins to have different sexual orientations does not mean that one or the other chose to switch. It simply means that the same genes manifested in different ways. Those genetic manifestations are always still beyond the control — and therefore the choice — of the individual. ..."
"... all of the prevailing theories insist that sexual orientation is not a choice. And, more to the point, homosexuality is not an illness. It needs no therapy or cure.
All of this helps explain why so-called reparative therapy for LGBT individuals is widely reported to do far more harm than good. Not only is it ineffective in converting individuals to heterosexuality — because such a conversion is unnecessary and absurd on its face — it inflicts severe psychological harm. Too often, it can result in suicide, a reality that plagues the gay community.
Advancing an argument urging LGBT individuals into so-called therapy, and encouraging their families to pressure them into so-called reparative treatments, is, in this sense, destructive and deadly. And reinforcing a wrongheaded perception that homosexuality is an abnormal and aberrant choice gives tacit consent to those who degrade, disparage and discriminate against LGBT individuals.
As a religious leader, I feel especially compelled to respond to the odious claims of groups like PFOX, ridiculous as they may be, because they speak a distinctly ungodly and irreligious message in the name of God and religion. In other words, by advancing their agenda under the banner of biblical faith, they purport to speak in my name, too. ..."
"Sentiments like those of PFOX may be in line with traditional understandings of one biblical passage, but they are based on a poor understanding of science and an even worse understanding of the major thrust of biblical faith. PFOX’s billboard, and others like it, diminish the image of God present in gay individuals, exhibit a profound dishonor to one’s fellow human beings, demonstrate a lack of love toward one’s fellow equal to the manner one loves oneself and contributes to the shedding of blood. It would be laughable if it weren’t so dangerous. But dangerous it is. So rather than laugh, we must speak God’s truth and set the record straight." 11
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Darren K Carlson, "Americans Divided on Cause of Homosexuality," Gallup, 2001-MAY-09, at: http://www.gallup.com/
- Jeffrey Schmalz, "Poll Finds an Even Split on Homosexuality's Cause," The New York Times, 1993-MAR-05, at: http://www.nytimes.com/
- Megan Gannon, "Less Than Half of Americans Think People Are Born Gay, Poll Shows," Live Science, 2014-MAY-29. at: http://www.livescience.com/
- "Strong genetic component to Schizophrenia," Undated, at: http://www.schizophrenia.com/
- "Gay gene?, identical twins?, and choice," Liberated Christians, 2002, at: http://www.libchrist.com/
- Susan Bahorich, "Openly-gay model in 'Nobody is born gay' billboard reacts," NBC12, 2014-DEC-11, at: http://www.nbc12.com/
- Sarah Bloom, " 'No one is born gay' billboard advertiser responds to controversy," NBC12, 2014-DEC-10, at: http://www.nbc12.com/
- "Rosmy," undated, 2014, at: http://rosmy.org/
- Mark Holmberg, "Holmbert: Why did 'nobody is born gay' group pick Richmond for billboard," WTVR-TV, 2014-DEC-11, at: http://wtvr.com/
- Graham Gremore, titled: "Giant Billboard Reading “Nobody Is Born Gay” Pops Up In Richmond," QUEERTY, 2014-DEC-11, at http://www.queerty.com/ The image was taken from this essay, with thanks.
- Rabbi Michael Knopf, "Anti-Gay Billboard is Wrong, Dangerous, and Against Biblical Faith ,"Richmond Times-Dispatch, 2014-DEC-21, at: http://www.richmond.com/
- Zack Ford, "Virginia Billboard Promoting Ex-Gay Therapy To Remain In Place," Think Progress, 2014-DEC-15, at: http://thinkprogress.org/
Copyright © 2014 & 2015 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2014-DEC-14
Latest update: 2015-JAN-04
Author: B.A. Robinson