In the Obergefell case, the U.S. Supreme Court legalizes
(a.k.a gay marriage) across the entire U.S.
Part 36: 2015-JUNE-26:
The White House and other landmarks were
illuminated in rainbow colors to commemorate
the U.S. Supreme Court's decision
We use the term "gay marriage."to represent the marriage of two persons of
the same sex.
We prefer "Same-sex marriage," a more inclusive term that
includes spouses with a bisexual sexual orientation, but it would make this web
"LGBT" refers to lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender persons
"LGB" refers to lesbians, gays, and bisexuals.
2015-JUN-26: During the evening: Over a dozen famous landmarks were illuminated:
The colors matched those commonly seen in the LGBT rainbow flag. One of the most spectacular buildings was the White House:
The rainbow flag is the symbol of the LGBT community and of the drive to legalize gay marriage and attain equal rights for all.
The White House issued a statement, saying:
The White House also temporarily changed their Twitter avatar to match: 3Comments from the public were varied:
"Tonight, the White House was lit to demonstrate our unwavering commitment to progress and equality, here in America and around the world. The pride colors reflect the diversity of the LGBT community, and tonight, these colors celebrate a new chapter in the history of American civil rights."
- "Love wins"
- "give me a break. please. the prez flip-flopped. btw that is Americas white house. many plp still disagree. this is insulting."
- "looks like the 'many ppl' that you speak of, will just have to get over it, now won't ya?"
- "oh, move to Iran, you bigot!"
- Disgraceful ! I like to stick that rainbow up his ...!
- Two LGBT rights supporters, Adam Smith and Kevin Barragan, hopped on a bus to go to the White House and see the display.
"It's huge, Symbols are really important, especially for young people who are coming to terms with their identities. ... Maybe one day I'll be able to get married in Ohio." 3
Liberty Counsel is a conservative Christian legal defence group. Recently, they have concentrated on defending the religious liberty of fellow conseratives to discriminate against the LGBT community. They posted the large image above on their Facebook timeline. They added a quotation from the English Standard Version (ESV) of the Bible:
Ecc. 3:16: Moreover, I saw under the sun that in the place of justice, even there was wickedness, and in the place of righteousness, even there was wickedness."
Other landmarks with rainbow colors: U.S. Niagara Falls, Disneyland, and the Empire State Building:
Rainbow lighting of a Little Rock, Arkansas bridge, and the San Francisco, California City Hall:
Not shown were other landmarks: the Capitol Building of Puerto Rico; 1 World Trade Center in New York, NY; the Ferris Wheel in Seattle, WA; the City Hall in Denver, CO; the Air Traffic Control Tower at San Francisco airport (SFO), CA; the State Capitol Building in Sacramento, CA; the 35-W bridge in Minneapolis, IN; and the Brandenburg Gate in Germany!
Mike Huckabee commented on the White House color display:
Mike Huckabee, a former Governor of Arkansas, and one of a very large field of Republican candidates for the presidency in 2016, said:
"The president lit up the White House the other night with rainbow colors — I guess that’s his prerogative. If I become president, I just want to remind people ... please don’t complain if I were to put a Nativity scene out during Christmas, and say, 'You know, if it’s my house I get to do with it what I wish despite what other people around the country may feel about it'." 5
This topic is continued in the next essay
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks arenot necessarily still active today.
- Bill Chappell, "Supreme Court Declares Same-Sex Marriage Legal In All 50 States," National Public Radio, 2015-JUN-26, at: http://www.npr.org/
- Michael Walsh, "White House, buildings across the country light up in rainbow colors to celebrate gay rights," Yahoo! Politics, 2015-JUN-27, at: https://www.yahoo.com/
- Allie Malloy and Karl de Vries, "White House shines rainbow colors to hail same-sex marriage ruling," CNN, 2015-JUN-27, at: http://www.cnn.com/
- "Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide," Chicago Tribune, 2015-JUN-26, at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/
- "Huckabee Hits Back at Obama for Lighting Up White House With Rainbow Colors ..." The Blaze, 2015-JUN-29, at: http://www.theblaze.com/
- Chris Sgro, "Equality NC Responds to Historic Marriage Ruling," Equality NC, 2015-JUN-26, at: http://equalitync.org/
- Patrick C. Beeman & Arthur Fitzmaurice, "Gay and Catholic: Two views on the Supreme Court's same-sex marriage ruling," National Catholic Reporter, 2015-JUL-02, at: http://ncronline.org/
- "Supreme Court Decision on Marriage 'A Tragic Error' Says President of Catholic Bishops’ Conference," United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2015-JUN-26, at: http://www.usccb.org/
- Kellie Fiedorek, "The Supreme Court’s gay-marriage ruling is a huge blow to democracy, Washington Post, 2015-JUN-29, at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/
- Brian S. Brown, "National Organization for Marriage (NOM) Issues Statement Following US Supreme Court Decision on Marriage," 2015-JUN-26, at: http://www.nomblog.com/
How you may have arrived here:
Copyright © 2015 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance.
First posted: 2015-JUN-26
Latest update: 2015-AUG-19
Author: B.A. Robinson