The U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage (aka gay
marriage) across the U.S. in its ruling of The Obergefell v. Hodges
case from Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, & Tennessee.
Part 45: 2015-JUNE/JULY:
A bit of humor.
Will God destroy the U.S.?
Same-sex couples' problems in Louisiana, & Ohio:
We use the term "gay marriage."to represent the marriage of two persons of
the same sex.
We prefer "Same-sex marriage," a more inclusive term that
includes spouses with a bisexual sexual orientation, but it would make this web
"LGBT" refers to lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender persons and transsexuals.
"LGB" refers to lesbians, gays, and bisexuals.
2015-JUL-06: A bit of humor:
- Julie Baker in Baltimore, MD has some creative outside decorations at her home. They include a set of rainbow lights that spell out "LOVE" and "OHANA." The latter is the Hawaiian word for "family." She posted a note on her Facebook page that she had received from her neighbor. It was signed "A Concerned Home Owner" and said:
"Your yard is becoming Relentlessly Gay! Myself and Others in the neighborhood ask that you Tone it Down. This is a Christian area and there are Children. Keep it up and I will be forced to call the police on You! Your kind need to have Respect for GOD."
Julie started a GoFundMe campaign to raise some money to add: "Many, many more rainbows [to] make my home even more relentlessly gay." She set a fundraising goal of $5,000. She stopped the campaign when $43,000 had been donated. 1
- A few Americans have expressed their anger towards the Supreme Court decision by posting comments on articles in newspapers and web sites threatening to move to Canada. They obviously didn't think things through thoroughly because Canadians will celebrate/observe/regret the tenth anniversary of a federal marriage equality law that was signed into law on 2005-JUL-20. Even worse, they would be forced to live under Canada's universal health care system and accept the approximately 2.5 year longer life expectancy enjoyed by Canadians which is probably due to the superior health care. 2
On a more serious note, two postings from The Christian Left's Facebook page:
These postings are related to a widespread fear among some conservative Christians that God will send some natural disaster, like a giant tsunami, earthquake, tornado, great ball of fire, etc. because of the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on marriage equality.
Louisiana: 2015-JUL-26 to 29:
On JUL-26, when the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage across the country, the Louisiana Clerks of Court Association informed parish clerks that they should wait for 25 days until JUL-21 when the Court ruling becomes final. Until that time, the defendants in the case could ask the High Court to reconsider its decision and perhaps reverse it.
However, on Monday, JUN-29, the Forum for Equality Louisiana, a pro-LGBT equality group, helped arrange the wedding of Michael Robinson, 41, to Earl Benjamin, 39. They had been partners for almost 24 years and were married before Judge Paula Brown in a ceremony at Orleans Parish Civil District Court.
John Hill of the Forum sent a massage over the weekend to the Clerks of Court Association. He said that if clerks ignored the High Court ruling and refused to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples that they would likely be facing lawsuits from same-sex couples that they had rejected. Hill commented:.
"I think the association of court clerks read our letter and talked to our lawyers and decided we were right."
Several parish clerks on Monday had started issuing marriage licenses to all qualified couples. The Association reversed its decision. They said that they felt that having multiple starting dates across the state would generate confusion. Executive Director Debbie D. Hudnall sent an email to the clerks saying:
"... our attorney says you can issue the license as soon as your office is ready to do so." 4
Ohio: 2015-JUL-06: Municipal Judge refuses to marry same-sex couple:
A lesbian couple went to the Toledo courthouse and purchased a marriage license and wedding ceremony. The duty judge, Municipal Court Judge C. Allen McConnell, refused to marry the couple because of his "personal and Christian beliefs." He later issued a statement apologizing to the couple and wishing them the best.
The court now has a process in place in which a Judge will be available on Wednesdays from 1:30 to 3:00 PM. 5 Apparently, only opposite-sex couples are considered first class citizens and thus can be married by the duty judge any day of the week between those hours.
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Richard Gorelick & Quinn Kelley "Gone viral: Baltimore resident wants to make 'relentlessly gay' yard more relentless, gayer," Baltimore Sun, 2015-JUN-18, at: http://www.baltimoresun.com/
- Randy Cassingham, "This is True ®, 2015-JUN-28, at: https://www.thisistrue.com/ This is a free weekly letter featuring weird-but-true news items.
- Postings to the Religious Left's Facebook page, 2015-JUL-05/06, at: https://www.facebook.com/
- Janet McConnaughey, "La. Court Clerks Get OK to Issue Same-Sex Marriage Licenses," ABC News, 2015-JUN-30, at: http://abcnews.go.com/
- "McConnell releases statement on refusal to perform same-sex marriage," 13/ABC Toledo, 2015-JUL-08, at: http://www.13abc.com/
How you may have arrived here:
Copyright © 2015 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance.
First posted: 2015-JUL-07
Latest update: 2015-JUL-09
Author: - Robinson