Politics in the U.S.
The craziness of the U.S. 2016
Michael Moore's predictions. The
College vote. President-elect
his cabinet, etc.
The College votes on Dec-19. Public
opinon polls on the electors changing
Part 13 of fifteen parts
2015-DEC-16: Michael Moore had predicted Trump's election and now predicts an Electoral College revolt (continued):
Moore has made a second prediction -- apparently another long shot: that a majority of electors on the Electoral College would follow the popular vote and elect Hillary Clinton as president. He noted that there were two Democratic College members who were trying to sway Republican members to not follow the popular vote in their state but to instead follow the popular vote nationally.
"Would you not agree — regardless of what side of the political fence you're on — this has been the craziest election year? Nothing anyone predicted has happened. The opposite has happened. So is it possible, just possible, that in these next six weeks, something else might happen — something crazy, something we're not expecting?" 1
2016-DEC-13: A Republican elector on the Electoral College plans to vote for Clinton:
Elector Christopher Suprun (R) is now an elector from Dallas, TX. He claims to have been a first responder firefighter on 9/11. However, this is denied by others. 2 He has decided to not vote for Trump. He listed several reasons for his decision: Trump generates a climate of fear among the public, he attacked the cast of Saturday Night Live, he lacks foreign policy experience, and he encouraged a foreign government to hack his opponents email. He said that his main reason was that:
"I owe no debt to my party. I owe a debt to my children to leave them a nation they can trust."
He asks his fellow electors:
"... to do the right thing for the good of the country." 3
The 538 electors are typically expected to meet in their state capitals and vote to cast their official vote for president. Suprun recommends that they vote to accept the will of the country as expressed in the national popular vote and make Hillary Clinton the next president. In order for this to happen, 37 other electors would have to change their votes from Trump to Clinton as well.
Fifty-five electors -- 54 Democrats and 1 Republican [Chris Suprun (R)] -- have signed a letter asking for an intelligence briefing from James Clapper, Director of National Security concerning the Russian activity meddling in the election. They come from California, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, Virginia and Washington state. 4
The Electoral College vote is scheduled for DEC-19. There is probably a greater probability that Hell will freeze over than Clinton will be voted as President by the Electoral College.
2016-DEC-15: Selection of President-elect Donald Trump's cabinet:
President-elect Trump has established a number of transition teams to select members for his cabinet, and heads for various government departments.
Jason Miller, a Trump spokesperson, has promised that the Trump's team will be:
"... very broad and diverse, both with the Cabinet and the administration."
There are a few notable features of the 17 cabinet members who were selected as of DEC-15:
- The total net worth of the 17 cabinet members is greater than the net worth of the least wealthy bottom third of all American households combined. This amounts to 43 million households!
- Four members of his cabinet have an average net worth of $3.6 billion.
- The remaining 13 are worth an average of $21.8 million.
- Trump's cabinet to date is worth four times that of President Obama's, and 30 times that of J.W. Bush. 5
Webmaster's comment [bias alert]:
When the topic of adjusting federal income tax rates comes up, one can easily imagine how they will want to influence government policy.
On the topic of gender and race:
- The most important positions in Cabinet -- Treasury, State, Defense, and Justice -- are all filled by white men.
- The most important positions in the White House -- chief of staff, national security advisor and senior advisor, are all filled by white men. 6
However, Trump has at least included several women and minorities on his list of candidates for the U.S. Supreme Court.
2016-DEC-17: Public opinion polls about members of the Electoral College should change their vote:
The electors' vote was scheduled for Monday, DEC-19. However, recent revelations from the CIA and FBI about Russian involvement in swaying the federal election towards Donald Trump have caused some people to question whether the vote should be delayed. One group that promotes a delay is Avaaz -- a U.S. group that:
"... promotes global activism on issues such as climate change, human rights, animal rights, corruption, poverty, and conflict. 7
Avaaz has 43.4 million members in 194 countries,including 2.2 million in the U.S. They sponsored a national public opinion poll that was conducted by YouGov. Results were:
Meanwhile, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals made a ruling on DEC-16 in a case that effects Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, Utah and Wyoming. They determined that electors who follow their conscience in voting instead of the majority vote for President in their state cannot be removed as electors.
A coalition of public interest groups including DailyKos, PFAW, American Family Voices, Brave New Films, Credo, National Priorities Project, Demand Progress, Huffington Post, Common Cause, Public Citizen, RootsAction.org, EveryVoice, MAYDAY PAC, Alliance for Democracy, The Other 98%, and The Nation has sponsored a petition calling for the delay of the Electoral College vote. Those interested can sign their petition on the Huffington Post web site. 9
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Kelsey Garcia, "Michael Moore Predicts Electoral College Will Deny Trump the Presidency, Gives Hope For Humanity," PopSugar, 2016-DEC-16, at: http://www.popsugar.com/
- Claudia Thomas, "Frauds and Hypocrites – Christopher Suprun Exposed," Townhall, 2016-DEC-16, at: http://townhall.com/
- Elinor Sheehan, "In 2 Short But Powerful Sentences, This Presidential Elector Explains Why He Won't Vote For Trump," PopSugar, 2016-DEC-13, at: http://www.popsugar.com/
- Kyle Cheney, "Almost 1 in 4 Electoral College Dems demanding intel briefing," Politico, 2016-DEC-14, at: http://www.politico.com/
- Liam Quinn, Donald Trump's cabinet is already worth more than the bottom THIRD of all American households combined," Daily Mail, 2016-DEC-17, at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/
- "Trump lags predecessors on diversity as he picks Cabinet," Daily Mail, 2016-DEC-15, at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/
- "Avaaz," Wikipedia, as on 2016-DEC-14, at: https://en.wikipedia.org/
- "Electoral College Poll," Avaaz, at: www.avaaz.org. This is a PDF file.
- Ryan Grim, "Majority Wants Monday’s Electoral College Vote Postponed In Wake Of Russia Scandal: New Poll," Huffington Post, 2016-DEC-17, at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
How you may have arrived here:
Copyright © 2016 by Ontario Consultants on
Original posting: 2016-DEC-18.
Latest update : 2016-DEC-19.
Author: B.A. Robinson