Human sexuality topics
Transgender persons & transsexuals:
Their beliefs on gender identity.
of their beliefs.
Are they just confused?
News about trans equality & civil rights.
The term "LGBT" is an acronym for "Lesbians,
transgender persons/Transsexuals. Sometimes, additional letters
added, like "Q" for Queer or questioning, "I" for Intersexual.
An unidentified MTF transgender woman.
registered as male on her birth
certificate, and now identifies as female.
About transgender persons and transsexuals:
They are individuals whose current gender identity differs from their birth-identified gender.
- Most were identified as male at birth and now have a female gender identity.
- A minority were identified as female at birth and now have a male gender identity.
- A few identify as having no gender; the term gender has no real meaning to them.
- A few identify as having an intermediate gender, both male and female.
- A few alternate between male and female.
When the U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriages throughout the United States in 2015-JUN, much of the focus of the LGBT community switched to attaining equality for transgender persons and transsexuals. Much of the focus of conservative religious and other groups switched to prevent such equality.
Note about terminology:
The term "transgenderism" was once widely used to refer to transgender persons. It is still often used by religious conservatives and others in articles opposed to persons being transgender. However, among the LGBT community, it has largely been replaced by "being transgender." During 2017-NOV, this web site tracked down all of its 104 references to "transgenderism" and modified them.
The "International Journal of Transgenderism" still uses the term in their name.
The web site Quora had an interesting exchange of comments during 2017-FEB on the topic of: "Is "transgenderism" the correct word to use in regards to trans people?" See: https://www.quora.com/
Topics covered in this section:
A comparison of the three major current religious/secular conflicts: gender identity, abortion access, and sexual orientation:
Transgender/transsexual terms. (It is a bit of a mind-stretching mine field)
Conflicting beliefs about the cause and nature of being transgender or transsexual:
Evangelical Christian anti-LGBT stance: The Nashville Statement of 2017 about homosexual and transgender persons.
- Two related essays by Contributing Editor Susan Humphreys:
||Understanding the terminology associated with being transgender & transsexual:
||More medical information about the possible cause(s) of transsexuality:
||Causes of, and cures for, transsexuality according to religious groups:
||Bible passages which may impact transgender/transsexual
Estimates of the number of transgender persons in the U.S.
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Joyce Bailey, "Trans 101," undated, at: https://jmcl.wordpress.com/
- "Sexual orientation and gender identity definitions," Human Rights Campaign," 2017, at: http://www.hrc.org/
- Jennifer Brown, "Elsa's Story: Family learns to let girl live as 'truegender'," Denver Post, 2015-JUL-17, at: http://extras.denverpost.com/
- Joseph Woo, "Special FAQ on the gender of the fetus," Obstetric Ultrasound, undated, at: http://www.ob-ultrasound.net/
- "MYTH #10: Intersex is extremely rare," Intersex Society of North America, 2008, at: http://www.isna.org/
- Zachary Green, "Transforming History: Transgender issues today are rooted in a decades-long struggle for inclusion," RetroReport/New York Times, 2015-JUN-15, at: http://www.nytimes.com/
- "My authentic life," Transgender Law Center, 2014-MAY-01, at: https://www.youtube.com/ The first video has been watched by about 120,000 viewers during its first year online at YouTube.
- Tom Murray produced and directed a video concerning transsexuality. It
is titled: "Almost Myself: Reflections on mending and transcending
gender." See: http://www.almostmyself.com/
- "Sex Chromosome Abnormalities," at: http://anthro.palomar.edu/
Copyright © 2007 to 2017 by Ontario Consultants on
Original posting: 2007-JUN-08
Latest revision: 2017-DEC-12
Author: B.A. Robinson