Christian denominations and sects:
The church with no name (a.k.a. Two by Twos,
The Truth, Cooneyites, Secret Sect, etc.)
The world at large often calls them "Two by Twos" because of their
tradition of sending pairs of missionaries to evangelize the "unsaved." They
have also been called The Black Stockings, The Church Without a Name, Cooneyites, the
Damnation Army, Dippers, Go Preachers, Irvinites, The Jesus-Way,
Nameless House Church, The New Testament Church, No-Name Church, The No-Secters, The
Non-Denominational Church, Pilgrims, The Reidites, The Secret Sect, Tramp Preachers, The
Testimony, The Truth, The Saints, Truthers, The Way, and Workers.
They are a high-intensity, high-demand group with strict rules of behavior.
Their beliefs are similar to many fundamentalist Christian groups except that:
- They have no name by which they are generally known.
Historical records show that the group was founded in the early 20th century. However, the church teaches that they have been in existence since the early first century CE.
- Their services are held in member's homes.
- Their clergy (workers) are unpaid and generally do not own a home or car.
They believe that only members of their group who are in good standing will attain Heaven after death. Essentially all humans will spend eternity in Hell.
- Most of what is known about this group comes from former members who have left on their own volition or have been excommunicated.
- Their clergy do not marry couples because their clergy do not register with governments.
Topics covered in this section:
Part 1: Overview. The Little Ones, (a.k.a. Friends& Message People). 2X2's today.
- Part 2: Practices & beliefs of the group.
- Part 3: Attacks on the group. Handling worker burnout. 2X2 web sites and
discussion forums. Bibliography.
- Part 4: Three books by ex-members.. More information sources.
Copyright © 2015 by Ontario Consultants
on Religious Tolerance
Latest update: 2015-NOV-17
Author: B.A. Robinson