2016-OCT: Part 9: Timeline of
recent environmental concerns
Did God send Hurricane Matthew?
Hurricane Matthew re-enters Atlantic.
Did God send Hurricane Matthew as an anti LGBT message to people in the U.S. and around the world?
On OCT-05, Andrew Bieszad, wrote an article for the Shoebat web site with a remarkable and unambiguous title:
"Hurricane Matthew Is The Wrath Of God Poured Out On The Cities Of Orlando And Savannah For Supporting The Evil Sodomites." 1
The term "Sodomite" originally referred simply to a person who lived in Sodom, a city mentioned in the first book of the Bible, at Genesis 19. The biblical text explains how the men of Sodom tried to rape some visiting male angels. The latter were suspected to be spies. The passage is interpreted in different ways:
- Religious liberals note that male rape in that society was often used as a form of humiliation and punishment of potential enemies and suspect strangers.
- Religious conservatives generally interpret the passage as referring simply to gays engaging in same-gender sexual behavior. Genesis 19 is one of the main passages in the Hebrew Scripture (a.k.a. Old Testament) that they use to condemn the LGBT community.
Down through the years, the meaning of "Sodomite" has changed. It is now a derogatory term that refers to any person with a homosexual or bisexual orientation who has engaged in same-gender sexual behavior. Today, the term is most often seen in writings by conservative Christians who, for religious reasons, oppose equal rights for the LGBT community .
"While there are many conservative and religious Floridians, there are a tremendous amount [sic] of sodomites and immoral activity that takes place there. ..."
The Bible clearly teaches that in the Old Testament whenever the Hebrews were very disobedient towards God, He would send punishments against them, many times in the forms of natural disasters. Christian history also recognizes the same, where God will use His creation to execute judgment against the wicked. ..."
"I thought I would ask a ... question -- Is [sic] there any “homosexual” activities going on this month in either the Orlando [FL] or Savannah [GA] areas? Sure enough, I found that both Orlando and Savannah are having massive sodomite pride parades this month, especially in Orlando, which is sponsoring this very weekend as the hurricane is about to hit ..." 1
He suggested that Matthew was being aimed by God to make:
"... landfall on the exact area where two massive sodomite parades are taking place and almost to the day for the largest [sic] one. ..."
Bieszad's prophecy did not materialize as he predicted. On OCT-08, just before noon, Matthew did make landfall. However, it did not come ashore in Florida or Georgia. Instead, it was at the Cape Romaine National Wildlife Refuge near McClellanville, SC, well north of Florida and Georgia.
Webmaster's comments: [bias alert]:
An analysis of all the facts concerning Matthew''s presence in the U.S. might arrive at a conclusion that is opposite to Bieszad's.
Consider some events in North Carolina:
- On the evening of OCT-10, 300 people north of Fayetteville, NC were evacuated because of concern over the structural integrity of a nearby dam.
- There were a few deaths directly caused by Matthew in Florida and Georgia where gay pride parades had been scheduled. In addition there were nine who died in Florida by carbon monoxide poisoning and other causes indirectly associated with Matthew. Nearly half of the deaths in the U.S. happened in North Carolina.
- Earlier in the year, in North Carolina, the state government had repealed city ordinances that gave human rights protections to the LGBT community. 2
- The NC government also passed legislation that requires transgender persons to use public washrooms that are opposite to their gender identity, thus exposing them to potential violence.
One might argue from the distribution of deaths in the U.S. and the path of the storm, etc. that God is is supportive of equality for the LGBT community, and opposes government action that takes away their human rights. Using Bieszad's reasoning, one might conclude that God is pro-LGBT, or at least pro-equality.
Matthew caused over 1,000 deaths in Haiti where same-sex couples cannot marry or enter civil unions, and the LGBT community has no protection against discrimination. Fewer than 20 deaths ocurred in the U.S. where same-sex couples can marry. Both laws in many states and ordinances in many U.S. cities protect the human rights of that community. If God sent Matthew to communicate an anti-gay message, one would expect the death tolls in Haiti and the U.S. to be reversed.
A second matter that has confused me for decades is that God is perceived by theists to be omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscience (all-powerful, all-present, and all-knowing) . With these infinite powers, it does not make sense to me that God would send messages to humanity via hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and other natural disasters. As is obvious from the above paragraphs, such messages would be ambiguous and confusing. With access to email, twitter, telephone, radio, television, newspapers, etc. God could make messages available to humanity that are much faster and less ambiguous. I guess this will remain an OEM problem -- One of the Eternal Mysteries.
Hurricane Matthew's path:
As a very much weakened Category 1 hurricane, Matthew followed the South Carolina coastline until Sunday morning, OCT-09. It then finally headed out to into the Atlantic ocean.
Total rainfall in Jacksonville, FL, Savannah, GA, and Charleston, SC established new records on OCT-07. The tide level at Fort Pulaski, GA, reached 12.22 ft which is a preliminary all-time record.
The greatest threat to U.S. lives and property "... appeared to be from seawater surges along the coast."
About 2.2 million households and businesses lost electrical power.
By the morning of OCT-09, Matthew was in the Atlantic ocean and downgraded to a post-tropical cyclone, with maximum sustained winds of 75 miles/hour. However, problems remained in North Carolina. Some areas of the state had received over 30 centimeters (12 inches) of rain which were expected to cause days of flooding downstream.
There was a possibility that a high pressure in the upper atmosphere could cause Matthew to circle back and make a second landfall in southern Florida later in the week. That would have been an unprecedented event with the possibility of very serious consequences to an area still reeling from the first past. However, it pulled away from the North Carolina coastline and gradually reduced its wind speeds.
OCT-10: NBC News video about the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew:
Some more environment/climate change articles that may be of interest to you:
- Part 1: 2013: Quotes. Background. Bay of Bengal incident. Decline in Canada's arctic ice cover.
- Part 2: 2013/2014: Canada loses its seasons. 316 North American cities to be under water.
- Part 3: 2013/2014: Christians, Republicans' & Democrats' beliefs differ. Volcanoes cause pauses in global warming. Americans' views on climate change.
- Part 4: 2014/2015: How Americans viewed climate change. HFC limits. Groups abandoning ALEC. Paris Conference reaches agreement.
- Part 5: 2016-FEB to AUG: Climate change concerns: Ocean levels rising. Displacement of animal species.
Greenland glacier melting. "Third Pole" glaciers melting.
- Part 6: 2016-SEP: Flooding on the U.S. East coast. U.S. and China ratify the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement. Pres. Obama: trends are "terrifying."
- Part 7: 2016-SEP: Obama comments on warming (Con't). 31 countries ratify Paris agreement. Trump zigzags on Climate Change.
- Part 8: 2016-Summer/Fall: Events showing that climate change is adversely affecting life on Earth
- Part 10: 2016-NOV: U.S. Costal real estate threatened. Rapid temperature rise in the Arctic. Very large poll about climate change.
- Part 11: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's climate change beliefs. New heads of federal government departments. Extinction of 11 species.
- Part 12: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's 16 Promised Plans on Energy and the Environment.
- Part 13: 2017-JAN: 2016 Was The Hottest Year On Record, Ever.
- Part 14: 2017-JAN: Recent Climate Change Measurements!
- Part 15:2017-JAN to APR:
Climate Change Debate is Changing. What if All the Earth's Glaciers Melted?
- Part 16: 2017-JAN to APR: Donald Trump Becomes President. EPA Foe Installed as Head of EPA! Hundreds Die During Flood in Colombia. Carbon Dioxide in Atmosphere Reaches New High.
- Part 17: Studies of the Effects
of Sea-level Rise in California between Now and the Year 2100.
- Part 18: President Trump Decided that the U.S. Will Quit the Paris Agreement.
Explosive Reactions to his Plan, nationally and globally.
- Part 19: More Reactions to the U.S.
Withdraw from the Paris Agreement. Record high temperatures in San Francisco and elsewhere.
- Part 20:2017-AUG/SEP : Group of 20 summit meeting, Hurricane Harvey attacks Texas. Is climate change increasing the
severity or frequency of hurricanes?
- Part 21: 2017-SEP: 2017-SEP: Can government regulations help? U.S. record high temperatures. Did God send Hurricane Harvey to attack TX?.
Hurricane Irma attacks Caribbean, FL, SC, GA. Hurricanes Jose & Maria.
- Part 22: 2017-SEP/OCT: The most expensive recent hurricanes to attack the United States. Does God use Hurricanes to send a message?
Conflicts, climate change cause rise in hunger.
- Part 23: 2017-OCT to 2017-DEC: All UN states have signed the Paris Agreement. Government report contradicts the President. Comment by
the Union of Concerned Scientists.
- Part 24: 2018-JAN to MAY: New temperature records. President signs bill increasing research."Onion's" amusing fake news. Sea levels rising; cities under water.
Climate change beliefs as function of age.
Proposed Mount Trumpmore project. Volcano in Hawaii. How global warming is affecting California.
Animal, Insect, & Bird Ranges Shrink.
Nutrients in rice reduced. California Governor's comments.
- Part 25: 2018-JUN & JUL: During 2018-JUN: A very few encouraging signs. Hurricanes slowing as winds increase. Changes in Antarctic ice and environment. Norway's growing season increased. A new world highest temperature. Future ocean levels.
- Part 26: 2018-JUL: New York City reports to the UN. Impacts of
humans burning up all our fossil energy. WWW.CLIMATECENTRAL.ORG's tools.
Death Valley, CA, sets new record. Dissapearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern lands. Hurricane Florence.
- Part 27: 2018-AUG & SEP: Dissapearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern countries. Hurricane Florence attacks the Carolinas. Pat Robinson's "Shield of Protection" doesn't work.
- Part 28: 2018-SEP & OCT: Trump Admin. predicts: 7ºF temperature
rise by the year 2099. Impact of climate change on women. Green Building Week & commitment. New IPCC report predicts a "Strong Risk of
as early as 2040.
- Part 29: 2018-OCT & NOV: Southern Baptist Convention downplays IPCC Report. Climate changing Fall season. Ozone layer continues to heal.
Trump Confuses Weather
- Part 30: 2018-NOV: Hope for people who have no access
to clean water. Trump Administration releases National Climate Assessment report.
Reactions to the report.
- Part 31: 2018-DEC: How to lie about climate change. UN head repeats warning. Major report on Arctic climate. Greenhouse gases soar. Can climate scientists be trusted?
- Part 32: 2019-JAN: Collecting plastic trash from the Pacific Ocean. U.S. Public opinion on the environment.
Status of climate change at the start of 2019.
The following information source was used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlink is not necessarily still active today.
- Andrew Bieszad, "Hurricane Matthew Is The Wrath Of God Poured Out On The Cities Of Orlando And Savannah For Supporting The Evil Sodomites," Shoebat, 2016-OCT-05, at: http://shoebat.com/
- "Matthew triggers severe flooding in North Carolina, U.S. death toll at 18," CBC News, 2016-OCT-09, at: http://www.cbc.ca/
- Alexander Smith, et al., "In Hurricane Matthew's Aftermath, Floodwaters Are Still Rising," NBC News, 2016-OCT-10, at: http://www.nbcnews.com/
Copyright © 2016 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2016-OCT-07
Latest update: 2016-OCT-11
Author: B.A. Robinson