President-Elect Trump's 16 Promised
Plans On Energy And The Environment
President-elect Donald Trump's promises that will affect energy and the environment:
President-elect Trump has mentioned many times that he believes climate change to be a hoax that was originally perpetrated by the Chinese Government. It is unlikely that he will promote measures that will alleviate climate change.
The Washington Post performed a valuable public service by publishing a list of 282 campaign promises that Trump has issued. 1 Promises 178 to 194 deal with energy and the environment:
- 178: He plans to drastically cut the size of the "Environmental Protection Agency, leaving "a little bit" still functioning. He said:
"... what they do is a disgrace. Every week they come out with new regulations. They're making it impossible."
- 179: Terminate all of President Obama's executive orders that deal with the environment!
- 180: Eliminate "intrusive" regulations and any other regulation that is outdated, unnecessary, bad for workers, or contrary to the national interest. ... Imagine a world in which our foes, and the oil cartels, can no longer use energy as a weapon." Remove "draconian barriers" so that energy infrastructure project can be approved quicker.
- 181: Eliminate the Clean Water Act's definition of the "waters of the United States" so that control over wetlands and rivers can be restored to the individual states.
- 182: Cancel the Clean Power Plan which limits the level of carbon pollution emitted by power plants.
- 183: Oppose a carbon tax on fossil fuels that would limit carbon dioxide emissions -- a major greenhouse effect gas.
- 184: Terminate limits on new drilling technologies and support "safe hydraulic fracturing." Lease additional federal land for fracturing.
- 185: Relax federal rules that restrict coal mining. Allow new coal mining leases on federal lands.
- 186: Treat climate change as a hoax. Trump originally called climate change a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese to damage American businesses. However, he has been backtracking from this opinion recently. He seems to be edging towards agreement with:
- Essentially all climate scientists who agree that climate change is actually happening, and
- Those scientific articles on climate change which discuss the cause of the change. 97% of them blame human activity leading to more greenhouse gases being released to the atmosphere.
Trump now admits that there is "some connectivity" between human activity and climate change. He said:
"I think there is some connectivity. Some, something. It depends on how much." 2
Travis Nichols, a spokesperson for Greenpeace USA, said:
"Whether or not Trump acknowledges the connection between human pollution and climate change, the science is real. Climate change is happening, and fossil fuels are making it worse. No matter what he says, Trump's 100 Days Plan and his proposed Cabinet appointees put climate denial front and center in his administration and put the planet and its people at risk." 2
Jamie Henn is a spokesman for 350.org. It is an environmental advocacy group whose name is derived from the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, measured in parts per million. Its name is already out of date because the level has already reached 400 and continues to increase. Henn said during the week of NOV-13 that:
"The disaster that Donald Trump represents for the climate cannot be understated. He is the only head of state in the world who is an all-out climate denier and he has the most radical, anti-environmental policies of anyone to ever assume the role of the presidency." 2
- 187: Terminate federal government funding for all climate change programs.
- 188: Terminate the U.S. pledge under the international Paris Agreement to limit greenhouse emissions.
- 189: Make the U.S. completely free of any reliance on foreign sources of oil.
- 190: Lower energy costs generally.
- 191: Request that Trans Canada Corp. renew its request to build the Keystone XL pipeline so that it can be approved under his administration.
192: Expand the level of natural gas and oil production. He said that his administration will:
"... end this war on the American worker and unleash an energy revolution that will bring vast new wealth to our country." 3
- 193: Restore and protect the Florida Everglades. 4
Webmaster's comment: [bias alert]
That might be a poor investment since much of the state of Florida may be under water in the future. According to Geology.com:
"... a sea level rise of only a few meters would inundate thousands of acres of highly developed land and beach communities along Florida's Atlantic Coast, the Florida Keys, and the Florida Gulf Coast. Significant flooding and environmental change would also be experienced in the Everglades. ... Florida is a low-elevation state and would feel the impact of sea level rise associated with global climate change much more strongly than other areas." 5
Some more environment/climate change articles that may be of interest to you:
- Part 1: 2013: Quotes. Background. Bay of Bengal incident. Decline in Canada's arctic ice cover.
- Part 2: 2013/2014: Canada loses its seasons. 316 North American cities to be under water.
- Part 3: 2013/2014: Christians, Republicans' & Democrats' beliefs differ. Volcanoes cause pauses in global warming. Americans' views on climate change.
- Part 4: 2014/2015: How Americans viewed climate change. HFC limits. Groups abandoning ALEC. Paris Conference reaches agreement.
- Part 5: 2016-FEB to AUG: Climate change concerns: Ocean levels rising. Displacement of animal species.
Greenland glacier melting. "Third Pole" glaciers melting.
- Part 6: 2016-SEP: Flooding on the U.S. East coast. U.S. and China ratify the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement. Pres. Obama: trends are "terrifying."
- Part 7: 2016-SEP: Obama comments on warming (Con't). 31 countries ratify Paris agreement. Trump zigzags on Climate Change.
- Part 8: 2016-Summer/Fall: Events showing that climate change is adversely affecting life on Earth
- Part 9: 2016-OCT: Did God send Hurricane Matthew as an anti-LGBT message to humanity? Alternate opinions. Hurricane Matthew re-enters Atlantic Ocean.
- Part 10: 2016-NOV: U.S. Costal real estate threatened. Rapid temperature rise in the Arctic. Very large poll about climate change.
- Part 11: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's climate change beliefs. New heads of federal government departments. Extinction of 11 species.
- Part 13: 2017-JAN: 2016 Was The Hottest Year On Record, Ever.
- Part 14: 2017-JAN: Recent Climate Change Measurements!
- Part 15:2017-JAN to APR:
Climate Change Debate is Changing. What if All the Earth's Glaciers Melted?
- Part 16: 2017-JAN to APR: Donald Trump Becomes President. EPA Foe Installed as Head of EPA! Hundreds Die During Flood in Colombia. Carbon Dioxide in Atmosphere Reaches New High.
- Part 17: Studies of the Effects
of Sea-level Rise in California between Now and the Year 2100.
- Part 18: President Trump Decided that the U.S. Will Quit the Paris Agreement.
Explosive Reactions to his Plan, nationally and globally.
- Part 19: More Reactions to the U.S.
Withdraw from the Paris Agreement. Record high temperatures in San Francisco and elsewhere.
- Part 20:2017-AUG/SEP : Group of 20 summit meeting, Hurricane Harvey attacks Texas. Is climate change increasing the
severity or frequency of hurricanes?
- Part 21: 2017-SEP: 2017-SEP: Can government regulations help? U.S. record high temperatures. Did God send Hurricane Harvey to attack TX?.
Hurricane Irma attacks Caribbean, FL, SC, GA. Hurricanes Jose & Maria.
- Part 22: 2017-SEP/OCT: The most expensive recent hurricanes to attack the United States. Does God use Hurricanes to send a message?
Conflicts, climate change cause rise in hunger.
- Part 23: 2017-OCT to 2017-DEC: All UN states have signed the Paris Agreement. Government report contradicts the President. Comment by
the Union of Concerned Scientists.
- Part 24: 2018-JAN to MAY: New temperature records. President signs bill increasing research."Onion's" amusing fake news. Sea levels rising; cities under water.
Climate change beliefs as function of age.
Proposed Mount Trumpmore project. Volcano in Hawaii. How global warming is affecting California.
Animal, Insect, & Bird Ranges Shrink.
Nutrients in rice reduced. California Governor's comments.
- Part 25: 2018-JUN & JUL: During 2018-JUN: A very few encouraging signs. Hurricanes slowing as winds increase. Changes in Antarctic ice and environment. Norway's growing season increased. A new world highest temperature. Future ocean levels.
- Part 26: 2018-JUL: New York City reports to the UN. Impacts of
humans burning up all our fossil energy. WWW.CLIMATECENTRAL.ORG's tools.
Death Valley, CA, sets new record. Dissapearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern lands. Hurricane Florence.
- Part 27: 2018-AUG & SEP: Dissapearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern countries. Hurricane Florence attacks the Carolinas. Pat Robinson's "Shield of Protection" doesn't work.
- Part 28: 2018-SEP & OCT: Trump Admin. predicts: 7ºF temperature
rise by the year 2099. Impact of climate change on women. Green Building Week & commitment. New IPCC report predicts a "Strong Risk of
as early as 2040.
- Part 29: 2018-OCT & NOV: Southern Baptist Convention downplays IPCC Report. Climate changing Fall season. Ozone layer continues to heal.
Trump Confuses Weather
- Part 30: 2018-NOV: Hope for people who have no access
to clean water. Trump Administration releases National Climate Assessment report.
Reactions to the report.
- Part 31: 2018-DEC: How to lie about climate change. UN head repeats warning. Major report on Arctic climate. Greenhouse gases soar. Can climate scientists be trusted?
- Part 32: 2019-JAN: Collecting plastic trash from the Pacific Ocean. U.S. Public opinion on the environment.
Status of climate change at the start of 2019.
- Part 33: 2019-JAN-MAR: If Ocean Cleanup fails.... Public opinion on environment.
Climate change in early 2019. Sea rise from Antarctic melting. Denmark fights cow flatulence. Disconnect between the EPA and climate scientists. Change is urgent NOW!
The following information source was used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlink is not necessarily still active today.
- Jenna Johnson, "Here are 282 of Donald Trump’s campaign promises," Washington Post, 2016-NOV-23, at: https://medium.com/
- Jeremy Diamond, "Trump admits 'some connectivity' between climate change and human activity," KXLY, 2016-NOV-22, at: http://www.kxly.com/
- Timothy Cama, "Trump pledges ‘energy revolution'," The Hill, 2016-AUG-08, at: http://thehill.com/
- Christine Dimattei, "A Trump Presidency Could Be Good News For The Everglades," WGCU, 2016-NOV-30, at: http://news.wgcu.org/
- "Coastal Florida and Everglades - Sea Level Rise Map," Geology.com, undated at: http://geology.com/
- Brandon Miller, "2016 was the hottest year on record -- again," CNN, 2017-JAN-18, at: http://www.cnn.com/
Copyright © 2016 & 2017 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2016-DEC-22
Latest update: 2017-JAN-20
Author: B.A. Robinson