Climate Change. Part 36.
2019-JUN/JUL: Lawmakers flee Oregon.
Topless German woman arrested.
Three-day heatwave in Europe.
Canada: Expert panel issues report.
2019-JUN-25: Republican lawmakers in Oregon flee state in order to paralyze the Legislature:
Over the previous five days, eleven Republican lawmakers have been absent from the Legislature. Some are believed to be hiding out in Idaho.
Democrats control both the House and Senate and have introduced a cap-and-trade bill to reduce the state's emissions by 80% on or before the year 2050. Without this group of eleven Republicans, the Senate does not have the quorum needed to vote on the bill. 1
2019-JUN-22-23: German police take action against topless women trying to cool off:
In Munich, Germany, people flocked to lakes and pools to cool off. Some women were sunbathing topless on the shores of Isar River during the weekend. The security guards ordered them to cover up. Other women took their bikini tops off in solidarity. The police were called; they ordered the women to cover up,
The Green Party raised the issue in Munich's city council. Dominik Krause said:
"It’s incomprehensible if men can lie in the sun topless but not women."
The Christian Social Union party (CSU) has opposed gender equality during sunbathing, and asked that the city statutes be amended so that women would be require to wear:
"... swimwear that completely keeps their main sex organs covered." 2
Curiously, they appear to regard women's breasts to be sex organs.
2019-JUN-26 to 29: A three-day heat wave hits Europe:
During the Summer of 2003, a heat wave caused 15,000 to 70,000 fatalities in Europe! (Sources widely differ on the number). Deaths were mostly caused by heat stroke or dehydration. Some drowned in rivers, pools, etc. while trying to cool off. The elderly and people who live alone were at the greatest risk.
Another heat wave, in 2018, caused at least 1,000 deaths. Many precautions were placed in effect througout Europe to minimize future heat-related deaths.
During the Summer of 2019, a new heat wave of unusually hot air from the Sahara Desert hit western and central mainland Europe. Most temperatures peaked on Friday, JUN-29. 8 Climate change is being blamed for causing the Sahara heat waves to become more frequent.
- In Spain, more than 500 firefighters fought a wildfire that was apparently started when some chicken dung spontaneously combusted. Speed maximums were lowered on some highways because the asphalt was melting. Zaragoza in the North of the country reached a maximum temperature of 44ºC (111 ºF) on Saturday JUN-30!
- In some sections of Italy, the large number of operating air conditioners caused the electrical power to fail, causing great distress.
- Montpellier, in the Hérault region of Southern France, reached a record high for the country of 45.9C (115 ºF)!
- London reached 33ºC (91 ºF); Paris 35º (95 ºF); Rome 37º (99 ºF). 3,4
2019-JUL-04: Canada: Expert panel issues report on climate change:
The Council of Canadian Academies issued a 70 page report titled: "Canada’s Top Climate Change Risks." It lists the climate change factors of greatest concern to the federal government: urban flood damage; coastal erosion, melting of permafrost and sea ice in northern communities; raging wildfires in the West; rising ocean levels; and fisheries. They suggest the climate-change adaptions the federal government should prioritize before the worst-case scenarios become reality. 5
That is all for now.
More topics will be added later as they becomes available.
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- "Senate Republican walkout..." OregonLive, 2019-JUN-24, at: https://www.oregonlive.com/
- "Naked rider, topless row as temperatures soar in Germany," CTV News, 2019-JUN-26, at: https://www.ctvnews.ca/
- Ian Livingston & Jason Samenow, "Potentially historic and deadly early summer heat wave to roast Europe from Wednesday through Friday," Washington Post, 2019-JUN-25, at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/
- Phil Hoad, "Montpellier melts under a 45C high as Europe hit by record heatwave," The Guardian, 2019-JUN-29. at: https://www.theguardian.com/
- Moira Welsh, "Expert panel prioritizes Canada’s climate risks for federal government," Toronto Star, 2019-JUL-04, at: https://www.thestar.com/
The following reports in this section that discuss environment and climate change may be of interest to you:
- Part 1: 2013: Quotes. Background. Bay of Bengal incident. Decline in Canada's arctic ice cover.
- Part 2: 2013/2014: Canada loses its seasons. 316 North American cities to be under water.
- Part 3: 2013/2014: Christians, Republicans' & Democrats' beliefs differ. Volcanoes cause pauses in global warming. Americans' views on climate change.
- Part 4: 2014/2015: How Americans viewed climate change. HFC limits. Groups abandoning ALEC. Paris Conference reaches agreement.
- Part 5: 2016-FEB to AUG: Climate change concerns: Ocean levels rising. Displacement of animal species.
Greenland glacier melting. "Third Pole" glaciers melting.
- Part 6: 2016-SEP: Flooding on the U.S. East coast. U.S. and China ratify the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement. Pres. Obama: trends are "terrifying."
- Part 7: 2016-SEP: Obama comments on warming (Con't). 31 countries ratify Paris agreement. Trump zigzags on Climate Change.
- Part 8: 2016-Summer/Fall: Events showing that climate change is adversely affecting life on Earth
- Part 9: 2016-OCT: Did God send Hurricane Matthew as an anti-LGBT message to humanity? Alternate opinions. Hurricane Matthew re-enters Atlantic Ocean.
- Part 10: 2016-NOV: U.S. Costal real estate threatened. Rapid temperature rise in the Arctic. Very large poll about climate change.
- Part 11: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's climate change beliefs. New heads of federal government departments. Extinction of 11 species.
- Part 12: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's 16 Promised Plans on Energy and the Environment.
- Part 13: 2017-JAN: 2016 Was The Hottest Year On Record, Ever.
- Part 14: 2017-JAN: Recent Climate Change Measurements!
- Part 15:2017-JAN to APR:
Climate Change Debate is Changing. What if All the Earth's Glaciers Melted?
- Part 16: 2017-JAN to APR: Donald Trump Becomes President. EPA Foe Installed as Head of EPA! Hundreds Die During Flood in Colombia. Carbon Dioxide in Atmosphere Reaches New High.
- Part 17: Studies of the Effects
of Sea-level Rise in California between Now and the Year 2100.
- Part 18: President Trump Decided that the U.S. Will Quit the Paris Agreement.
Explosive Reactions to his Plan, nationally and globally.
- Part 19: More Reactions to the U.S.
Withdraw from the Paris Agreement. Record high temperatures in San Francisco and elsewhere.
- Part 20:2017-AUG/SEP : Group of 20 summit meeting, Hurricane Harvey attacks Texas. Is climate change increasing the
severity or frequency of hurricanes?
- Part 21: 2017-SEP: 2017-SEP: Can government regulations help? U.S. record high temperatures. Did God send Hurricane Harvey to attack TX?.
Hurricane Irma attacks Caribbean, FL, SC, GA. Hurricanes Jose & Maria.
- Part 22: 2017-SEP/OCT: The most expensive recent hurricanes to attack the United States. Does God use Hurricanes to send a message?
Conflicts, climate change cause rise in hunger.
- Part 23: 2017-OCT to 2017-DEC: All UN states have signed the Paris Agreement. Government report contradicts the President. Comment by
the Union of Concerned Scientists.
- Part 24: 2018-JAN to MAY: New temperature records. President signs bill increasing research."Onion's" amusing fake news. Sea levels rising; cities under water.
Climate change beliefs as function of age.
Proposed Mount Trumpmore project. Volcano in Hawaii. How global warming is affecting California.
Animal, Insect, & Bird Ranges Shrink.
Nutrients in rice reduced. California Governor's comments.
- Part 25: 2018-JUN & JUL: During 2018-JUN: A very few encouraging signs. Hurricanes slowing as winds increase. Changes in Antarctic ice and environment. Norway's growing season increased. A new world highest temperature. Future ocean levels.
- Part 26: 2018-JUL: New York City reports to the UN. Impacts of
humans burning up all our fossil energy. WWW.CLIMATECENTRAL.ORG's tools.
Death Valley, CA, sets new record. Disappearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern lands. Hurricane Florence.
- Part 27: 2018-AUG & SEP: Disappearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern countries. Hurricane Florence attacks the Carolinas. Pat Robinson's "Shield of Protection" doesn't work.
- Part 28: 2018-SEP & OCT: Trump Admin. predicts: 7ºF temperature
rise by the year 2099. Impact of climate change on women. Green Building Week & commitment. New IPCC report predicts a "Strong Risk of
as early as 2040.
- Part 29: 2018-OCT & NOV: Southern Baptist Convention downplays IPCC Report. Climate changing Fall season. Ozone layer continues to heal.
Trump Confuses Weather
- Part 30: 2018-NOV: Hope for people who have no access
to clean water. Trump Administration releases National Climate Assessment report.
Reactions to the report.
- Part 31: 2018-DEC: How to lie about climate change. UN head repeats warning. Major report on Arctic climate. Greenhouse gases soar. Can climate scientists be trusted?
- Part 32: 2019-JAN-MAR: 2019-JAN/FEB: Collecting plastic
trash from the"Great Pacific Garbage Patch."
Copyright © 2019 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2019-JAN-10
Latest update: 2019-JUN-26
Author: B.A. Robinson