Climate change & other environmental concerns:
Available books (Cont'd):
Some of these books are only avaiable in Kindle format.
Many are avaiabable in different formats, but Kindle
editions are often lowest in cost.
You can download a free Kindle app to read books
on most major smartphones,
tablets, & computers.
Once you have downloaded the app, you can download
a book and start reading in less than a minute.
"Given the pressing need for action, CLIMATE CHANGE is the right book at the right time: accessible, comprehensive, unflinching, humane." - The Daily Beast
"A must-read for those who want to become climate literate and join the growing conversation about the greatest threat humanity faces today." - The Guardian
"Romm provides a useful primer on the drivers of climate change, the ways that the world might achieve that target, and the obstacles to moving away from business as usual... [the book] is full of useful information and accessible analysis." - Foreign Affairs
"An up-to-date, comprehensive examination of the science behind climate change, what these environmental issues mean for the future, and possible clean energy solutions." - Mother Earth News
- "Dr. James Hansen is Paul Revere to the foreboding tyranny of climate chaos--a modern-day hero who has braved criticism and censure and put his career and fortune at stake to issue the call to arms against the apocalyptic forces of ignorance and greed." ―Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
"When the history of the climate crisis is written, Hansen will be seen as the scientist with the most powerful and consistent voice calling for intelligent action to preserve our planet's environment." ―Al Gore, Time magazine
"Rich in invaluable insights into the geopolitics as well as the geophysics of climate change, Hansen's guaranteed-to-be-controversial manifesto is the most comprehensible, realistic, and courageous call to prevent climate change yet. It belongs in every library." ―Booklist (starred review)
"Here Hansen takes off the gloves … As the author writes, we're simply out of time. With urgency and authority, Hansen urges readers to speak out--taking to the streets if necessary--to protect the Earth from calamity for the sake of their children and grandchildren." ―Kirkus Reviews (starred review)
"This is not the best-written science book ever, nor the easiest to understand. But it could be the most important one you'll ever read. It's not too late to avert disaster, Hansen says, but we need to change tack fast." ―New Scientist
This book treats global warming as a massive scam and conspiracy, without scientific foundation.
Typical review by an unidentified Amazon customer: "It is important that the public understand how data can but [sic] manipulated to obtain political objectives."
"Hurricanes. Blizzards. Flooding. Drought. If extreme events like these seem to be on the rise, it’s for apparent reason. The first three-quarters of 2012 brought the worst European winter in 25 years; massive flooding in Australia, Brazil and China; a deepening drought affecting over 50% of the US; and Hurricane Sandy inflicted massive damage on the Northeast US. The likelihood of these extreme weather events are increasingly being tied to anthropogenic — or manmade, mostly through overproduction of carbon dioxide — global warming. It’s no longer an abstract idea; it’s being felt locally, on every level.
This eBook, Storm Warnings: Climate Change and Extreme Weather, gives you the tools to better understand what’s behind climate change, what might be in store during the coming decades and how we can begin to reverse the detrimental effects mankind has had on the atmosphere. The first half of the book focuses on those unprecedented weather events and the science behind them, from the devastation of Hurricane Sandy to the collapse of glacial ice shelves in the Antarctic. Chapter 5 delves into greenhouse gas emissions and their effect on global warming, including an excellent piece by leading expert James Hansen, who exposes the main culprits of climate change. The last chapters focus on addressing and reducing the problems of climate change at both the public policy and local levels. In particular, Scientific American Editor David Biello lays out 10 solutions that include small changes we all can make in our daily lives — practical, but effective, consumer choices that add up. It might be a drop in the bucket, but every drop counts."
- [Marshall] offers advice on confronting climate change head on, stepping away from Green Guilt, and putting potentially world-saving policies into action." —The Boston Globe
- "Intelligent and genial . . . In the end, Marshall is neither fatalistic nor idealistic about our chances of survival. Yes, he says, we’re wired to ignore climate change. But we’re also wired to do something about it." —Washington Post
- "Clearly we're not responding to the reality of climate change with the speed the crisis requires. This book explains some of the reasons that could be—and how we might work around them in the short time that we have." —Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth
- "The science of climate change is easy: burning fossil fuels creates greenhouse gasses that are warming our world. George Marshall reminds us about the hard part: connecting the wellhead to the tailpipe in people’s minds as soon as possible. Please read this book, and think about it. Let’s get to work." —Bill Nye
- "Illuminating and important—makes clear why we continue down a dangerous path of increasing climate disruption, even when attractive, hospitable, alternative paths are available." —James Hansen, author of Storms of My Grandchildren and Former Director of NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies.
- Sara Gilbert, "The Imperfect Environmentalist: A Practical Guide to Clearing Your Body, Detoxing Your Home, and Saving the Earth (Without Losing Your Mind)." Available in Kindle and Paperback formats. (2013) Read reviews or order this book safely from Amazon.com online book store
- "This book really opened my eyes. Then my eyes started stinging and tearing from all the toxins in the environment I’m now aware of. Thanks, Sara, I have a lot to do now." Lisa Kudrow.
- "Sara’s passion and commitment to the environment have given me an awareness that I never had before about our planet. I learn from Sara every day and she makes me want to be a better person. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks." Sharon Osbourne.
- "Among the few irreplaceable volumes yet written about climate change." Bill McKibben, Boston Globe
"If you have time this year for just one book on science, nature, or the environment, this should be it." San Diego Union-Tribune
"A perfect primer on global warming. It might be the most important book you read this year." Cleveland Plain Dealer
Most recent update: 2019-JAN-05
Compiled by B.A. Robinson