The worldwide Coronavirus
COVID-19 cases increase in number.
Dangers of reopening businesses.
2020-JUL-01: Vaccines against COVID-19 are under development:
Matthew Herper, writing for Statnews.com said:
"Fourteen Covid-19 vaccines are currently in human trials, according to the Milken Institute, including entrants from Inovio, CanSino, AstraZeneca, and Moderna. More are expected to start soon, including entrants from Merck, Johnson & Johnson, and Sanofi. In total, 178 vaccines are in various stages of development. 27
2020-JUL-10: The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 have continued to increase:
Niko Kommenda and other writers at The Guardian wrote:
"With countries all over the world affected by the coronavirus pandemic, the US has emerged as a global hotspot. The Trump administration has been criticized for being slower to act than other countries. The US currently leads the world in both confirmed coronavirus cases and deaths according to Johns Hopkins University.
It’s important to point out that the actual death toll is believed to be far higher than the tally compiled from government figures."
Confirmed cases: 3,117,532, an increase of 63,247 from the previous day.
Confirmed deaths: 133,275, an increase of 990 from the previous day. 4
States with more than 200,000 cases detected include California, Florida, and New York.
CTV news reported on Coronavirus data:
- Global data: 12.292.678 cases; 555,493 deceased.
- Canada: 106,894 cases, 8,749 deceased.
- The three provinces with the highest number of cases are:
- Quebec: 56,216 cases, 5,609 deaths
- Ontario: 36,348 cases, 2,703 deaths
- Alberta: 8,519 cases, 161 deaths. 3
2020-JUL-10: The death toll from the coronavirus has increased in some U.S. states:
After months of decline in the death rate from the pandemic, the death toll has increased in some states. Kim Bellware et al. from the Washington Post said:
"The daily coronavirus death toll in the United States increased this week after months of decline, as hospitals in hot-spot states were overwhelmed with new patients. The U.S. reported its highest single-day infections — more than 67,000 cases — on Thursday. The United States reported more than 4,200 deaths in the past seven days, and experts warn that the trend could continue to get worse. The U.S. reported its highest single-day infections — more than 67,000 cases — on Thursday. The United States reported more than 4,200 deaths in the past seven days, and experts warn that the trend could continue to get worse. ..."
"Texas, Arizona and South Carolina have all seen their death toll from covid-19 rise by more than 100 percent in the last four weeks. Four more states — Mississippi, Tennessee, California and Louisiana — have seen at least a 20 percent jump in that time span. 5
2020-JUL-14: Preliminary data for the Moderna vaccine shows promise:
StatNews.com reported that the Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine showed promise in preliminary testing. It:
"... led patients to produce antibodies that can neutralize the novel coronavirus that causes the disease, though it caused minor side effects in many patients, according to the first published data from an early-stage trial of the experimental shot ... published in the New England Journal of Medicine. ..."
"The study, which was run by the National Institutes of Health, showed that volunteers who received the vaccine made more neutralizing antibodies than have been seen in most patients who have recovered from Covid-19. But a second injection, four weeks after the first, was required before the vaccine produced a dramatic immune response."
Betty Diamond, director at the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research, who was not involved in the trial. said:
"It certainly is a good beginning. There are certainly lots of things we don’t know yet right now." 6
Some vaccine researchers are estimating that a vaccine could offer immunity that would last for 12 to 18 months. So, it might require yearly inoculations, like flu shots. 18
COVID-19 nursing home deaths in Ontario Canada:
The Toronto Star newspaper performed an analysis of deaths in long-term nursing homes in Ontario Canada. They found that:
- Residents in for-profit nursing homes were twice as likely to die of the pandemic than those in non-profit homes.
- Residents in city-run homes had the lowest death rate . 6
There is a great deal of misinformation about the pandemic being circulated -- often over the Internet. The Center for Inquiry has an "Inoculation against Misinformation" section on their Coronavirus Resource Center.
2019-JUL-11:Reducing the pandemic's spread by using face masks:
In the U.S., Best Buy, Costco, Kroger, Sam's Club, Walmart, and other large retailers are requiring customers to wear face masks at all of their locations.
The University of California, San Francisco has published an excellent article about how face masks greatly reduce the transmission of Coronavirus. 7
019-JUL-14: Results of Pew Research Center's poll on what is "a very big problem in the country today:"
The poll found that 37% of Republicans and those leaning Republican said that the coronavirus outbreak is "a very big problem in the country today." In comparison, 76% of Democrats and those leaning Democrat agreed. 8
2019-JUL-18: U.S. and Canada: Dangers associated with bars, restaurants, etc. opening for business:
Bars and restaurants across Canada are at various stages of reopening.
Stephen Leslie, owner of Tavern on the Square and Monkland Tavern in Montreal, Quebec said that he is:
"Frustrated. Angry. Disheartened. You just can't help but think that what's going on to the south of us — Texas, Florida — how they've been forced to re-close is going to happen to us here if we don't follow the rules. "
Ilene Polansky, owner of Maestro SVP in Montreal, said that disrespectful clients littered; stumbled into her; did not distance; refused to wash their hands; and stormed off when she declined to group tables together.
"They said, 'One-star review for you. We're never coming [back] here.'
It's sad that I have to tell people to follow the rules." 9
Dr. Matthew Oughton is an infectious disease specialist at the Jewish General Hospital and an assistant professor at McGill University in Montreal. He said:
"You can't eat and drink with a mask on."
"The risk is that you could be feeling totally fine and ready to go for a night out. And your dining partner might be infected, or you might be infected and yet not know it."
"We are sitting in a forest that is bone-dry and there are lots of places where sparks might flare up. So you can stomp out the first spark, you can stomp it the second spark, what worries me is if there's 100 different sparks starting 100 small brush fires, can you actually stomp it all of them in time?"
Adam Miller and Alexander Panetta of CBC News wrote:
"The goal set by the World Health Organization is to keep positive test rates below 5%.
By that standard, the U.S. is in brutal shape. A whopping 33 U.S. states had rates higher than the WHO benchmark on Thursday, with several just above or just under 20 per cent."
"Arizona's positivity rate was around six per cent when it allowed restaurants and some bars to reopen on May 11 — and has surged to a recent peak of 26.9 per cent, according to figures compiled by Johns Hopkins. The Texas rate hovered above five per cent this spring during the weeks it reopened, and is now at 16 per cent. Florida reopened restaurants in most places on May 4 and bars on June 5, a period during which test-positivity rates were between two and five per cent — and then started surging to a peak near 20 per cent." 9
2019-JUL-14: Results of Pew Research Center's polll on what is "a very big problem in the country today:"
The poll found that only 37% of Republicans and those leaning Republican said that the coronavirus outbreak is "a very big problem in the country today." In comparison, 76% of Democrats and those leaning Democrat agreed. 9
2019-JUL-21: Status of vaccine development etc.:
There are currently more than 150 potential vaccines under development worldwide! Almost two dozen are already being tested on humans. Four are in late stage trials.
The White House is expected to restart briefings on the coronovirus on a daily basis.
As of the morning of JUL 21, the U.S. has accumulated 3.83 million cases with 140,909 deaths (3.7%). 11
Life Site has published a graph of COVID mortality between 2020-APR to JUL in the U.S. showing an encouraging recent decline:
The data on the graph shows the number of people entering hospitals with COVID-19 added to the number of deaths. The data is independent of the COVID test rate.
Could the COVID-19 be the "mark of the beast" mentioned in the Bible at Revelation, Chapter 13?
Kayne West stated her belief that a vaccine would be the "mark of the beast" when it becomes available. She implied that accepting a vaccination would result in the person ending up in Hell after death. Author and talk show host Hank Hanegraaff discussed the matter on his TV program during the week of 2020-JUL-11. He denied West's belief, saying:
"The mark in Revelation chapter 13 symbolizes identity with the beast. And as such, identifying with Satan's kingdom is what will keep you out of heaven, not getting vaccinated."
To take on the mark of the beast, he said is, "the intentional denial in thought, in word, in deed of the Lordship of Jesus Christ." 13
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyper links are not necessarily still active today:
I apologize for the following listing. They are hopelessly out of order. I won't be able to fix it for a while.
- Adam Taylor, "Vietnam offers tough lessons for U.S. on coronavirus," The Washington Post, 2020-APR-30, at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/
- Johns Hopkins, Center for Systems Science and Engineering,Coronavirus Resource Centre, "World Map," 2020-MAY-28, at: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
- "Meet the Press: New Cases Per Day - Covid-19," NBC News, 2020-MAY-17, at: https://www.nbcnews.com/
- "Coronavirus map of the US: latest cases state by state," The Guardian, 2020-JUL-09, at: https://guardianship/
- "Coronavirus death toll in U.S. increases as hospitals in hot-spot states are overwhelmed," Washington Post, 2010-JUL-10, at: https://www.washingtonpost.com
- Matthew Herpes & Damian Grade., "First data for Moderna Covid-19 vaccine show it spurs an immune response," Stat News. 2020-JUL-14, https:///
- Nina Bai, Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus," University of California San Francisco, 2020-JUL-11, at: http
- Adam Miller and Alexander Panetta, "How Canada can avoid a U.S.-style COVID-19 crisis as it reopens," CBC News, "Second Opinion" newsletter, 2020-JUL-18, at: http://newsletters.cbc.ca/
- Amina Dunn, "As the U.S. copes with multiple crises, partisans disagree sharply on severity of problems facing the nation," Pew Research Center, 2020-JUL-14, at: https://www.pewresearch.org/
- Paige Cunningham, "The Health 202," Washington Post, 2020-MAY-04, via Email list.
- "Vaccines, Phase Four Stimulus, and the World's Most Innovative Companies," 1440 Daily Digest, 2020-JUL-21, via Email list.
- Dr. Jess Jones, "Recent COVID data reveal a lot of good news," Life Site, 2020-JUL-20, at: https://www.lifesitenews.com/Michael Foust, "Could a COVID-19 Vaccine Be the Mark of the Beast? – Hank Hanegraaff Answers," Christian Headlines, 2020-JUL-17, at: https://www.christianheadlines.com/
- Tina Hesman Saey, "2020-APR-17, "Why 6 feet may not be enough social distance to avoid COVID-19," at: https://www.sciencenews.org/
- Alexandra Meeks, "With a worsening pandemic, California bans singing in places of worship," CNN, 2020-JUL-03, at: https://www.cnn.com/
- Logan Sekulow, "Christians in California Can’t Sing this Sunday Because State Orders 'Places of Worship Must . . . Discontinue Singing," 2020-JUL-11. at: https://aclj.org/
- From the 1440 Daily Digest for 2020-JUL-28.
- " 'We don’t know’: AstraZeneca CEO says ‘unpredictable’ coronavirus may require annual vaccinations'," The Muslim Times, 2020-HYK-30, at: https://themuslimtimes.info/
- "The COVID-19 Brief, CTV News, 2020-JUL-29, via email.
- "Coronavirus (COVID-19) statistics," Bing, 2020-JUL-30, at: https://www.bing.com/
- "The Least You Can Do," "This is True" email, 2020-JUL-26.
- Robert Hutton, "A Picture Emerges of the Ideal Covid-19 Response," Bloomberg, 2020-AUG-06, at: https://www.bloomberg.com/
- Ed Young, "How the Pandemic Defeated America," The Atlantic, 2020-SEP issue at, https://www.theatlantic.com/
- Chelsea Janes, "Hispanic, Black children at higher risk of coronavirus-related hospitalization, CDC finds," Washington Post, 2020-AUG-07, at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/
- Diane Craft, "U.S. sets record as coronavirus cases top 5 million," Reiters Jea;tj News, 2020-AUG-08, at: https://www.reuters.com/
- Michael Foust, "LA Mayor Threatens to Shut Off Electricity and Water to Churches that Meet," Christian Headlines, 2020-AUG-07, at: https://www.christianheadlines.com/
- "Quartz Need To Know: Coronavirus," Quartz emailing, 2020-AUG-11.
- Matthew Herper, "Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech shows positive results," STAT, 2020-JUL-01, at: https://www.statnews.com/
Copyright © 2020 by Ontario
Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Latest update: 2020-NOV-11
Author: B.A. Robinson